1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Scan and remove profile spam?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by cdub, Dec 23, 2014.

1. cdub

cdub Well-Known Member

How do I scan for and remove profile spam?

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You'd mostly have to use "New Profile Posts". Unless you mean spam in profile fields, in which case you can use the user change log in the control panel.

3. IPF

IPF Active Member

@Mike Is there a way to prevent members of a usergroup from adding anything to their profile fields. New users sign up, add links in their profile fields and never post in the forum again which makes them harder to be found.

4. Mike

There is a "edit profile" permission that will cover what you want.

IPF likes this.
  5. IPF

IPF Active Member

Thanks. So that will not prevent them from uploading avatars / changing their email / passwords. Am I right?

6. Mike

Well they can still change their email and password -- those aren't public things anyway. The avatar permissions are separate but you can prevent them from changing that.

You mentioned adding links to profile fields and that permission will control access to edit those.

IPF likes this.
  7. IPF

IPF Active Member

8. rolfw

rolfw Member

Hi, as my question is to do with profile spam, I thought it would be OK to add to this thread as it's on a similar topic.

We are getting a massive amount of spam registrations, many just putting URLs in various mandatory profile fields (fields which are useful to us). Have tried limiting input to alphanumerics and underscores (with occasional issues), but really need to enable standard punctuation, but exclude @ : / symbols, or even reject text which contains them or URLs generally? Is there an easy way of doing this?

Thanks