Scaling and did you guys consider a document store?

tony4d

Have you guys thought about scaling this software to millions of users and 10s of millions of posts? Also, during your design did you consider a document store like mongoDB?

Have you guys thought about scaling this software to millions of users and 10s of millions of posts? Also, during your design did you consider a document store like mongoDB?
XenForo was built with big boards in mind. ;) Though I imagine you'd need to make some changes to your server setup with that much traffic, and eventually things like Sphinx will be in XenForo, but generally it seems large boards can run on XF with little trouble.

Thanks guys, but it would be great to get a response from the leads on the project. I was seriously looking for something with substance. Xenforo has an opportunity to replace IGN Boards, but I'll need some more info on the design of the app, especially how the db is abstracted. Kier, feel free to DM me on twitter @tony4d Would be great to have a phone or video chat.

IGN have only recently finished implementing their own custom boards, which has scalability in mind.
Our custom boards software is crap to maintain and extend. We need to replace the software and that's why I'm here. I'm not a user, I work in engineering at IGN. I PM'ed Kier and he's ignoring me, not sure why?

Our custom boards software is crap to maintain and extend. We need to replace the software and that's why I'm here. I'm not a user, I work in engineering at IGN. I PM'ed Kier and he's ignoring me, not sure why?
He is probably busy.. I think they don't have plans to go that far yet, the project hasn't even got to an official stable release.. so it is premature as I see it.. etc.. I think it will grow on its own pace..

Really? wow, that's bad news for the IGN development team. They spent what, 2 years developing those "revolutionary" new boards, and they messed it up.

I think XenForo could scale well, from the way the database is structured it seems quite scalable. However many other factors would determine this too, such as using Percona server for handling the amount of JOINS better for each page, but there is also consistency of queries which is very useful for estimating resources. With Memcached, and xCache/APC it should scale fine, but considering its based on Zend Framework, it maybe also compilable using Hip-Hop for even better scaling performance. I have seen phpBB scale well (2million members and 33milion posts), and I have a feeling XenForo would survive scaling to such an amount too. The main difference is memory usage only.

Top Bottom