Safari push notifications coming to macOS and iOS

I take it the iOS user must have 16.4 ?
Correct, no way around that.

is it going to be a hassle if lots of users don't update their iOS ?
Not going to be a hassle for site owners, the option simply won't be available to users with old operating systems. The good news is iOS users tend to update far quicker than Android users. Less than 48 hours after it was released, I'm already seeing about 5% of all iOS users on 16.4. It's about 85% uptake on 16.x (which came out about 6 months ago).

1680109283400.webp

Compare that to Android, which has 40% on 13.x (which came out last summer, before iOS 16.0).

1680109436581.webp

But yes... web push on iOS will require the user be on 16.4 for it to be an option for them. New features in Android is a far bigger waiting game for end-users to upgrade.

That's what I was hoping for !
It's going to be the same as it is now... if your browser doesn't support push notifications, you simply don't get the prompt/option and the manual button to enable it is greyed out. The check is already being done... "Does your browser support web push?" Nothing different as far as that goes if you are a browser on iOS (the underlying check is still the same).

They either want push notifications or they don’t. If they do, then they probably won’t care too much about adding your forum to their Home Screen.
I agree with your point….

But I don’t even like using the PWA version of my own site on my iPhone. PWA just feels like extra steps to me. I prefer keeping my own site as the very first open tab, and this site as the second, and I refresh both regularly throughout the day. This is convenient because I’m in Safari all day long for all sorts of uses. The PWA feels redundant and less efficient to use because I’m always opening links in new tabs and quickly jumping between sites.

(This isn’t directed at XF, btw. I’m just complaining about Apple not giving us the notifications right from Safari.)

It's not ready yet; and probably not necessary as @Chris D already noted, it will be out with the next XF 2 update.

I guess it will be available to everybody in 1-2 weeks since the latest XF 2 update was almost 4 months ago.

Overall, it's time for a bug fix update (especially the annoying Froala editor bugs).
Looking back through this thread I'm not seeing any confirmation or dates, are we sure they're working on it? You seemed to have made progress here, I hate to see it lose steam.

The only thing missing in my iOS PWA add-on is showing the alerts on the PWA icon on the home screen.

For some reason, it works when using a favicon but not with a png icon. Just something to test in the core when released...

Everything else works fine, but it's indeed weird without back/forward/refresh buttons.

The only thing missing in my iOS PWA add-on is showing the alerts on the PWA icon on the home screen.

For some reason, it works when using a favicon but not with a png icon. Just something to test in the core when released...

Everything else works fine, but it's indeed weird without back/forward/refresh buttons.
Do you need/want other testers for your add-on? I mean, it sounds like you pretty much have it dialed already, but I'd be willing to try it on my live site.

Do you need/want other testers for your add-on? I mean, it sounds like you pretty much have it dialed already, but I'd be willing to try it on my live site.
Once it will be core in a few weeks your users will need to re-enable and add your phone again to their Home Screen. It will be very annoying to do all over again, so I’m not even installing it on my live forum.

I don’t understand why there is a need for an Add-on? All you need to do is modify the manifest file
Once it will be core in a few weeks your users will need to re-enable and add your phone again to their Home Screen. It will be very annoying to do all over again, so I’m not even installing it on my live forum.
Optimistic :D

Were we in this thread aware of this add-on by @Ozzy47?

Were we in this thread aware of this add-on by @Ozzy47?

Just wanted to bump this to say this free addon has been working on my board for a couple of days now, users are all getting notifications on iOS 16.4 and are loving it, I've already noticed a jump in engagement.

Top Bottom