Safari push notifications coming to macOS and iOS

Do the Xenforo Push Notifications end up in the iOS notifications "area" ?

can someone show an iOS screenshot ?
Yes they do... they are treated like app push notifications in all the ways (including be able to fine tune them for an individual site under Settings -> Notifications.

It's a little different than a desktop machine, in that you only get push notifications if the user has saved your website as a PWA app (where it gets an app icon like your other apps). See:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The site effectively becomes an app on iOS, so you get an app icon, you get push notifications, etc.

wow.

And Android has already had that for some time, correct ?
Not exactly the same, but yes... iOS is last to the Web Push API party. I do appreciate that Apple has made it relatively seamless and it's become an extension of the PWA system. It makes it so users need to really want them, vs. accidentally clicking a link on a spam site and they start getting push notifications like mad (that's how it works on Android). That being said, they still could have done it a lot quicker.

Based on my current settings, I think I'll be flooded with PUSH notifications.

Maybe users could be prompted to trim their push notifications when sites launch iOS notifications ?

1679081400795.webp

I think alot of users will have all 3 of these checked .... and will receive ALOT of notifications.

It looks like I will get iOS notifications based on this LONG list !

push.notifications.iOS.xenforo.settings.webp

I take it all PUSH notifications are on by default.

I think Notification settings need to be front and center and should appear in this drop down.

1679081674082.webp

Not buried underneath Preferences.

iOS does a good job at grouping and hiding unwanted notifications. The Focus system suppresses them when you want and the Lock Screen/Notification Center just shows the most recent SINGLE push notice fron an “app” unless you specifically drill down for more. I don’t think it’s going to be a big deal or problematic.

It would be ideal if the actual relevant alerts a user gets from Xenforo translated into notifications, I would guess there's some configuration that would need to be in place for that but it seems like it's possible.

wow.

And Android has already had that for some time, correct ?
After seeing my parent's phone full of Chrome notifications from a gazillion websites, I actually like this implementation more, where you have to proactively install a website as an application and not only click a button on the screen that prompts you to allow notifications.

Is it now the same way what Android phones have for almost a decade now? Same feature? YES

So, does this mean XF just has to implement it and finally iOS will have push? YES

Are there any other hindrances now? Xenforo hasn't implemented it yet.
Watch the video here

Reactions: sbj
Top Bottom