Russia hit by meteor.

Heard about this on the radio this morning. Dat sonic boom.

Don't forget about that asteroid that's just missing earth today.
Who wants to bet this was actually it, but we got lucky as most of it burned up?!

lol

All joking aside I think if they knew something big was coming... I don't think they would tell the public. That is assuming they noticed it. We'd like to think we can map every part of the sky at all times, but the truth is we're not there yet.

Who wants to bet this was actually it, but we got lucky as most of it burned up?!

lol

All joking aside I think if they knew something big was coming... I don't think they would tell the public. That is assuming they noticed it. We'd like to think we can map every part of the sky at all times, but the truth is we're not there yet.
Most don't get noticed, even by the people they're flying over.

The one we saw was massive, everyone seemed to know about it (or heard it/saw the flash), but it barely even made the news. Apparently it left a small crater somewhere in Northern Manitoba. There was astronomy groups trying to triangulate the landing site weeks later.

I misread the title of this thread as "Russian hit by meteor". I was displeased and also pleased at the same time.

Not that I was displeased by not having a russian hit by a meteor but I wanted to see a little rock just tap him on the shoulder :P.

quite loud :eek:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wow, I thought it was just one big bang, but it sounds like several after shocks,, which are just as loud.

Crazy how much glass their recycling centers are going to need to recycle...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/16/world/europe/russia-meteor-shower/index.html

Altogether, more than 4,000 buildings, mostly apartment blocks, were damaged and 200,000 square kilometers (77,220 square miles) of glass were broken, the state-run RIA Novosti news agency cited the Chelyabinsk regional emergencies ministry as saying Saturday.
2,152,780,000,000 (2.1 trillion) square feet of glass broken... crazy. I didn't even think there was that much glass on earth. Works out to 309 square feet of glass for every human on earth.

This would have been seriously scary. The explosion was the size of 20 atomic bombs, they say. It took 3 minutes for the blast wave to hit. That would have shaken a lot of people IMHO.

Frightening how people don't appear to have been given any warning about it coming. That could have of hit a large populated area.

Takes a while for an asteroid to travel from space and hit earth, doesn't take 1 second to happen.

Some-kind of Early Warning system detecting an incoming asteroid on a trajectory path to hit earth maybe?

I don't think it was one big enough that it was being tracked though (maybe I'm wrong?)

Even then, say they knew 15 minutes in advance... what's the point? Everyone running around scared and panicking? I mean where exactly are you going to hide from a meteor coming into the atmosphere at 44,000 miles per hour? With no way of knowing where it's going to hit other than a guess within 2,000 miles?

15 minutes (or even days) wouldn't be enough time to get everyone within a 2,000 mile radius out of the area. Not like hiding in the basement is going to do much for you either if you are unlucky enough that it lands on (or near) your house.

I think at the very least, they could've put an alert out, to stay away from windows/glass.

Can only hope this isn't the start of something bigger, ala armageddon hehe

Takes a while for an asteroid to travel from space and hit earth, doesn't take 1 second to happen.

Some-kind of Early Warning system detecting an incoming asteroid on a trajectory path to hit earth maybe?
Technologically.... We're not there yet.

We have the technology to get "lucky". And when I say that, understand that an asteroid 1/5 the size of our moon zipped by once and Nasa only noticed it because they were look in that direction at the time as it happened.... It smacked right into the sun sometime later.

My point being is even with something that large.... It can go virtually unnoticed until its to late. Remember they only noticed it as it was happening. Who knows what else has zipped by without us knowing?!

If that idea is scary to you.... Add into the fact that we're currently cutting the budget of Nasa. How do you feel now?

Top Bottom