Ruby vs Python vs PHP, What Do You Think?

kkm323

I will like to hear your opinion on this topic please, which of the those programing language you think is the best to learn and are easy to integrate with MySQL? If there are others feel free to mention them? I also attach this image from here i hope is useful...

PROGRAMMING-LANGUAGE-3.png

Ruby is a pain for server administrators, well, Ruby on Rails, so many specifics required to get it to work. Actually if I put my sysadmin hat on I would burn Ruby as soon as I see it.

Ruby has a nice syntax but can be a PITA unless you're developing for a single platform where you know all dependencies. Python is a really great language and has a vast wealth of many libraries with multiple functions - from libraries for complex mathematics developed in academic situations to libraries for use with Django.

Saying that, PHP is the language I use most. I can use a full library such as Laravel or Symfony if I'm working ona large project or I can build a single page site using the traditional function based method.

PHP 5.4 and 5.5 are MASSIVE steps forward for the language too, introducing many great new features and generally polishing the languages Object orientated features with things such as Traits, Namespaces, etc. Plus Composer is (IMO) the best package manager out there.

Ruby.. looks cool and I hear good things about it. Expressive language, Rails was once miles ahead as far as web development frameworks go (though not so much anymore). Never used it much because there's so much magic going on behind the scenes to make things happen that it was a bit difficult to understand what was really going on.

Python.. I love it. My favorite interpreted language hands-down. It's fast, simple, easy to read and understand, and offers tons of functionality. When it comes to web development though, most frameworks poorly glue several 3rd party libraries together.. so it's very inconsistent to write for the web IMO. For smaller projects it's fine with things like Bottle or Flask, but for big projects writing code is a bit tricky because the different libraries follow some different conventions.

PHP... As far as languages go, it's pretty inconsistent and there's plenty of things to complain about. Raw PHP can be pretty frustrating. However, using a good framework makes PHP relatively painless to use, and it's easy to deploy and ubiquitous enough among hosts to make my choice for web development. I highly recommend using Laravel 4 as a PHP framework. It's not quite production-ready but it's very expressive and offers all the functionality I need in a consistent and easy-to-write manner.

Not rubbish. You will not find a .NET application on the internet without it being behind lots of layers of security. The problem is the underlying OS that allows .NET apps to run. It is not that secure.
ooookay

I'm not even going to argue with you on this.. you're right, carry on (y)

This infographics is quite old... Things have changed a lot since then. :)

I personally love Ruby. People say Ruby is the most expressive but then they say Python is more readable... It doesn't make sense to me. What makes Python more readable than Ruby is a mystery for me. I actually find some of the Python syntax annoying and unnecessary. While Ruby has almost natural language like flexible syntax, which allows some of the DSLs written in Ruby feel as if we are executing plan English text. :)

In my opinion one of the reasons why Python is easier to setup is the fact that several Linux utilities are written in Python so it is already there. PHP on the other hand has advantage of being so popular that virtually every web server hosting company has to offer PHP if nothing else. Setting up Ruby server used to be painful but due to rapid popularity of Ruby on Rails, this is not the case anymore. :)

Ok,

game.co.uk and directline.com (I had to secure both these .NET web applications from malicious hacking due to running on the Windows Operating System). Let's both part ways now before we get into the Microsoft vs real operating systems discussion.

I'll leave you with this piece of goodness :)

For ASP.NET on Linux, check out Mono.
That said, thousands of sites run on Windows Server without any issues. A poorly-configured server with any OS will be vulnerable; Linux won't save you from a poor admin.
So I guess my "best practice" for deplying an ASP.NET app would be to use Windows Server 2008 (likely Web edition). And hire a good administrator.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1116175/running-asp-net-on-a-linux-based-server

hehe, ok, that tells me what? He doesn't provide any experience, it's just a post. Actually forget it, I've been in the enterprise space for decades, spending millions on internet facing websites, using different operating systems and platforms. Ask any Fortune/FTSE Windows shop to use Mono and they would laugh you out the door.

Btw, thousands of sites running on Windows Server doesn't match millions of sites running on Linux/*BSD. Enjoy your evening.

I prefer Ruby and Python for the communities, the problem with PHP is there are just way too many people who have no clue what they're doing (Hell, look at WordPress). Ruby on Rails is easily my favourite platform, but Django has its place too.

Top Bottom