1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RockMelt Browser

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nysm, Jun 21, 2011.

?

Do you use RockMelt?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  3. I plan to try it out

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. I'm sticking with my own browsers

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nysm

Nysm Member

So I've only just recently came across this browser that especially integrates itself with Social Networking systems.

Over 50 thousand people have liked it on facebook so it must be big already however I haven't tried it and it looks quite good.

Rockmelt Homepage

Do you use it?
    Added a poll, because I like polls!
    (Multi-voting)

Here is a bit on the Wiki Article.
    Preview: rockmelt.jpg

2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

I'm just not seeing a good reason to switch to it.
    I'd have to see a video showing how it is more "social" than Chrome or FireFox.
    Hard to say if there is a need for another browser.
    If I was making a browser to compete with IE, Firefox and Chrome .... I think I'd try to make it better for Facebook than any of the other browsers.

3. User

User Well-Known Member

Meh, Firefox works as do the approximately 372,281,838 add-ons for it. Don't see a reason to change or even download, try, and uninstall something else.

4. -GR-

-GR- Well-Known Member

This whole social media craze is driving me bonkers. Not saying the browser isn't good but I want to stay as far away from fb and twitter as I possibly can.

Darkimmortal and Vodkaholic like this.
  5. Wuebit

Wuebit Well-Known Member

Agree chrome works great tons of addons no need to change...
    also
    "No" and "I'm sticking with my own browsers" is the same thing? :/

6. Nysm

Nysm Member

It was 2 in the morning where I was sleep deprived so I wasn't really thinking. But I guess you could also check "I am planning to try it out" but also say you will be sticking to your own browsers. :p

7. -GR-

-GR- Well-Known Member

Even though I am one that is totally against this whole social media phenomenon it looks like it will be right up the alley for those that are into the social thing.

I personally don't care to read about what someone had for breakfast, or that they are so bored at work plus all of your friends that are all of a sudden Susie Homemaker and every one of their posts are about selling something like herbalife.

8. Fufu

Fufu Well-Known Member

RockMelt is built on Google's open-source Chromium and backed by Netscape founder Marc Andreessen.

9. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

More reason not to use it ;).

jmurrayhead and Darkimmortal like this.
  10. Digital Doctor

I loved Netscape 0.7 - it was a revolution !
    [​IMG]
    I loathed the day Microsoft bundled IE4 with Windows and killed Netscape.

TheVisitors likes this.
  11. Fufu

Fufu Well-Known Member

Netscape killed its own market when they charged $49.99 at Computer City for a boxed edition.
    Netscape even had speed accelerator and download resume, which IE never had.

12. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

Navigator 2.0 was the first browser I ever used.

13. Digital Doctor

You missed MOSAIC ? and LYNX ?
    Lucky You !

For me, when Netscape 0.7 rolled out .... I was awe struck at how great it was. After that release I knew this internet thing would be good. I remember finding out new sites ... mostly by word of mouth. People would say ... hey ... did you know Coca Cola has it's own site now ? and I'd type it in and check it out. Then things started getting easier ... and there was this super cool thing called Yahoo and you could SEARCH for site on a topic you were interested in. That got me really excited !

The noisy modems ... Trumpet Winsock ... huge 8 Meg Hard drives.

O the days !

[​IMG]

14. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

We got our first computer in 1997. At that time I didn't no jack about computers, let alone the difference between web browsers. This is the browser that the guy who built our computer installed. So that's what I used :p

15. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

I miss Netscape :(

Although it's A LOT slower by today's standards. Firefox is the closest to it. Although I prefer Google Chrome.