RM 1.0 RM Article Manager

Morgain

This is a thread for those interested in the RM as an articles manager.

One issue is multiple pages, but I have contacted a good developer who will look at how to do this.

I have made a rough mockup of a page design - attached below. {UPDATED to show current condition 30/03/13]
Some can be done in Phrases, some needs css. I will probably need help!

updated mockup.webp

Import (from eg the unfinished waindigo library) can be done manually using Chris Deeming;s addons to reassign the original date, and thread.
The author is I think OK to assign in the RM native functions.

Attachments

• RM Article2.webp
    RM Article2.webp
    70.4 KB · Views: 180
Posting apologies for small delay. I had a fall and agony for 24hrs then trapped in bed. Yes I have laptop and kept working but pain made me tired so slower.

Articles can be single or multiple pages. The only limitation is that if an Article has multiple pages it cannot carry an attachment to download . It has to go on the auto-thread an Article can be enabled to create. (Single page Articles can do attached files to download OK)
Add Page link button at top by breadcrumbs AND a text link in sidebar in an Article Editing section.
Have removed tabs from design
(only commented out so you can easily reclaim, I NEVER delete)
Page menu now works perfectly top and bottom of content if multiple pages.
If you prefer tabs at top you can un-comment them + comment out the page menu include at top.
Small discussion text link added to page menu appears top and bottom of content.
Sidebar moved to right to match other standard XF sidebar/s. EXTRA.css so easy to comment out/ delete if not desired.
The top section of sidebar shows medium avatar for Author. Title "Author Info." (Phrase) Default small Avatar commented out from left side of title area so can be reinstalled if you prefer.. (I plan to place an icon there to add graphic interest, but same graphic for all Articles. Prob a book.)
Added Discussion - big button as in sidebar, at bottom of content. Needs a tweak on its style.
Auto Thread first post edited to be tighter and neater.
On listings for Articles or Categories the Tagline now appears immediately under Title where it belongs.
Trying to add Categories block to sidebar on all Article pages. PENDING.

ADMIN
All templates to be changed are in the zip file as .rtf documents so you can see what they contain.
All templates to be changed have changes marked with comment tags explaining what the addition does.
A list of relevant RM Templates and what they do supplied - rtf format
A list of relevant RM Phrases and their new labels supplied - rtf. Search either the title (code) or the new Phrase label using CTRL+F. Phrases are grouped according to the page they appear on, with some additional notes. About 75% done.
The main admin forms to set up RM things have much better notes to explain what the sections of form do.
The create/ edit forms for Authors have much better notes to explain what the sections of form do.
(Forms explanations are generated on Phrases so you can easily alter or revert. My versions are in my Phrases rtf so you always have these, plus the defaults on revert)

Nearly nearly there.

how to pull an already existing article, e.g.: an article already existing at any news-media-outlet (e.g. an article from CNN or any other news site) into the RM ?
How to do this technically ? Is there some code available to do it ? Maybe some Open-Source code ?

Or how to reference an already existing article, so that I would just have to enter the URL of that article (e.g. an article from CNN or any other news site) into the RM, but it would visually display the full article (of an external source) within my own RM.

I mean doing it manually, not automatically via some news-feed-importer.

Thanks!

how to pull an already existing article, e.g.: an article already existing at any news-media-outlet (e.g. an article from CNN or any other news site) into the RM ?.... manually, not automatically via some news-feed-importer.

Erich I like your idea but it goes outside the scope of the RM Articles project in its current stage.
Ive posted a new thread about your idea, and Ive raised some problems I can see plus a way forward to solve them.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/rm-articles-possibility-to-import-external-content.48025/

Really sorry for infuriating long delay. First a biggish physical injury and then my business went into uproar and I've been doing 2 full time jobs in addition to my own! Sleep - what's that?
Calming down so will be with you soon.

Aw thanks Luxus and Optima. I had a good rest today so getting my brain back. Was a bit wiped.
Still a bit busy with the business uproar stuff but will try to find a couple of hours to tidy this addon up so it can be shared, over the next few days.

Top Bottom