Fixed Rich Text Editor broken on iOS

limboclub

Affected version
We've been experiencing issues with the text editor for posts for a while. This happens on iOS in Safari and Chrome.

This is only in the rich text editor. Editing in plain text mode works fine.

The issues include:

* It takes three or four taps of return to go down two lines and capitalise the next paragraph.

* Editing existing text can mean text further down the post is highlighted and deleted.

* Same with tapping return multiple times in quick succession. Text on the end of the post is selected and if you tap one time too many that text gets overwritten by a 'return'.

* Selection of text is hit and miss - it might select or it might select completely different lines of text. My belief is that it is seeing the extra lines that are created when you have to hit return multiple times to get a new paragraph, and positioning the select box accordingly.

* It can also manifest as duplicating a line of text while editing elsewhere in the post.

* I have reproduced this on our test environment with all addons switched off and using the default Xenforo style.

iOS 13.2.3 - which is the latest I believe. iPhone 8 plus.

I’m a heavy user of iOS and XF and while I recognise some of the issues you mention, they are issues within the editor library itself. While annoying, they do not appear to cause me significant issues.

Some of the issues are resolved in a future version of the editor which we have implemented for XF 2.2 but the issues are currently looking unlikely to be fixed before then, unfortunately.

I’m a heavy user of iOS and XF and while I recognise some of the issues you mention, they are issues within the editor library itself. While annoying, they do not appear to cause me significant issues.

Some of the issues are resolved in a future version of the editor which we have implemented for XF 2.2 but the issues are currently looking unlikely to be fixed before then, unfortunately.
My users are finding that this is a stumbling block in using the site on mobile. I'm finding it an incredible pain to use the rich text editor on iOS.

Given mobile use is through the roof and making posts is the core feature of a forum, this is our biggest user-facing issue at the moment.

It is a constant issue and has been around for many months - I believe it had been reported back in 2.0? Can't quite recall. It was mentioned that 2.1.5 would address this issue but it is as bad as ever.

Any news on this issue?

Latest updates show no change in our testing.

BigFooty is hitting over 60% mobile use so this is a problem for our biggest slice of users.

This is indeed a big issue affecting all of my iOS users. I posted a thread about it here:

I believe all of these issues are now resolved and will be included in XF 2.2.7. We have rolled those changes out here.

There's been a whole bunch and I think they were all semi-related. In the interests of not having too many threads, please open a new bug report if there is anything in your testing that appears to still be an issue.

Top Bottom