Review of Waindigo for Custom Jobs

Thanks all for your comments.

Not to go into too much detail, but for @Morgain there was an agreement in place from the start that the price would be much lower and as a result the work would take longer to complete, so I would hope @Morgain would agree that it is not fair to say that this should be the experience all my clients should expect.

That being said, there were definitely times when we could have done things better, but despite our ups and downs, we did produce some pretty nice add-ons for the community.

I am also obviously massively grateful to @Morgain for introducing me to the XenForo community.

I do, however, make no excuses for the fact that at our subsidised rates, we will ask you to make allowances for the rest of the XenForo community. If you want the add-on exactly the way you want it then we are not prepared to subsidise the cost. Obviously this depends on the complexity of the request.

Thanks all for your comments.

Not to go into too much detail, but for @Morgain there was an agreement in place from the start that the price would be much lower and as a result the work would take longer to complete, so I would hope @Morgain would agree that it is not fair to say that this should be the experience all my clients should expect.

That being said, there were definitely times when we could have done things better, but despite our ups and downs, we did produce some pretty nice add-ons for the community.

I am also obviously massively grateful to @Morgain for introducing me to the XenForo community.

I do, however, make no excuses for the fact that at our subsidised rates, we will ask you to make allowances for the rest of the XenForo community. If you want the add-on exactly the way you want it then we are not prepared to subsidise the cost. Obviously this depends on the complexity of the request.

Did we pay a cost that was not subsidsed? You made the addon exactly to our specifications.

Jon thank you for your courteous and dignified response. I know we both regret that we had to stop working together.
I don't want to hold a post mortem in public. It's been months since we ceased working together and I've said nothing. But as there was a review specifically on your services, I wanted people to have a balance of information so they could decide if your style of operating would suit them. It's abundantly clear that your style DOES suit many people, but equally there are some, perhaps only a few, it does not suit.

There are points in your reply which bear out my statement that for you communication is not as high a priority as it is for me.

... there was an agreement in place from the start that the price would be much lower and as a result the work would take longer to complete ...
... at our subsidised rates, we will ask you to make allowances for the rest of the XenForo community. If you want the add-on exactly the way you want it then we are not prepared to subsidise the cost. Obviously this depends on the complexity of the request.

Sorry I have no memory or record of an agreement that jobs for me would take longer. You often asked me to accept taking a back seat, on a mates basis. I did so at first because I wanted to help you build your business, so I understood acting fast for other clients was important. But pushing me to the back of the queue got worse and worse until I had waited a year on one area, and it wasn't OK any more.
I also never agreed to or knew of any subsidy. I simply paid what you asked, often in advance of work done, or even just upfront against future work to help you keep going.
When I objected to not having an add-on the way I wanted it. I was either told that your way was better, or my message was ignored.

Now it is quite possible that my experience was not typical of Waindigo operations, for a number of reasons.
I was either your first XF client, or pretty much so, and I helped you find your way around and recommended you which got you started. I also helped you assess other clients and deal with problems with them, both here on XF and other business deals you tried to set up. So I was both mentor and client.
I think by the time I started trying to formalise things, and offer you a suggested agreement in writing, it was too late.

All of which I think underlines the importance of having a dev/client agreement in writing from the start. Also that where there is deviation from an item of agreement there needs to be a strong hand: either down tools by dev, or stoptap on cash by client. Plus some clients see courtesy in communication as much more important than others, because it reduces work stress.

Last edited:
There are points in your reply which bear out my statement that for you communication is not as high a priority as it is for me.
My point is clear: you get what you pay for. If I offer a subsidy it is on my terms. I make no apology for this.

If you were not aware that you were paying around 60%-75% less than the standard rate for private work, then that was quite a big misunderstanding.

Clearly, client communication is incredibly important. With respect, I am sure most of the community can imagine the amount of communication I had to deal with from @Morgain.

My point is clear: you get what you pay for. If I offer a subsidy it is on my terms. I make no apology for this.

If you were not aware that you were paying around 60%-75% less than the standard rate for private work, then that was quite a big misunderstanding.

Clearly, client communication is incredibly important. With respect, I am sure most of the community can imagine the amount of communication I had to deal with from @Morgain.

All I'll say is keep up the excellent service, and excellent work you generously provide. This does not go unnoticed. :)

Again thank you Jon for a restrained reply.

*snip*(Slavik)

It is clear I think that Jon and I tried our best to keep a fairly lengthy working relationship going and we failed due to poor communication. That was a real shame because we did good stuff and both of us are active community people.

I hope that these posts by both of us help others not to make the mistakes we did. I think they will.
No more on this from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to post up a quick review of Waindigo's services.

It is a pleasure to work with the guy. I have not had any problems with him and he is always polite and easy to deal with. He gets addons coded pretty quickly and for a decent price. Communication is good and addons are made as requested.

Well done.

I am currently needing one of Waindigo add-ons moded a bit more but am not sure how to approach him to do this for us. I know that some coders hate having private conversations sent to them for their own reasons, so any suggestion would be welcome. The work to be done is very urgent and needs doing in the next few weeks.

I am currently needing one of Waindigo add-ons moded a bit more but am not sure how to approach him to do this for us. I know that some coders hate having private conversations sent to them for their own reasons, so any suggestion would be welcome. The work to be done is very urgent and needs doing in the next few weeks.

I tend to ask Waindigo directly and ask him if hes taking jobs at the moment.

Maybe he'd post here @Waindigo?

Well I have posted in the mod in question with some questions on it but I see he has not replied so I am sure he is either away or busy right now. So I will hang around a few days and see what happens.

Well I have posted in the mod in question with some questions on it but I see he has not replied so I am sure he is either away or busy right now. So I will hang around a few days and see what happens.
I have responded to your post in the thread now ;) Currently I am very busy but the main reason for not replying straight away is that Friday afternoon posts will take a while to answer sometimes!
In general for bugs the best way is to reply in the discussion for the related add-on. For development queries a quick PM is best and will normally be replied to within a few hours (or days if I need to think about it).

I have responded to your post in the thread now ;) Currently I am very busy but the main reason for not replying straight away is that Friday afternoon posts will take a while to answer sometimes!
In general for bugs the best way is to reply in the discussion for the related add-on. For development queries a quick PM is best and will normally be replied to within a few hours (or days if I need to think about it).

Thanks for responding to this thread.

Are you taking custom jobs? I feel bad poking you with PMs.

Yes I am taking custom jobs and have briefly perused your multiple PM's I will respond on Monday after I've slept on it!

Okay :D!

Ignore all the ones that aren't about adding to your addon. I'll continue to just quietly add/remove things from the suggestion list for the addon.

Top Bottom