XF 2.2 Retro Browser Support

tagban

I'm looking to support a rather diverse community of people ranging from using retro machines to also using modern. Retro being Roughly, HTML 3.x. No Java, no SSL, etc.

My intention is to provide a source of data using pages more than actual forums so I don't need people to login. I assume this is purely at that point theme based?

Assuming its possible, can the theme be displayed based on useragent in the browser? So that I can identify older browsers and display retro theme for the pages for easy reading? I have 2 old computers running Mac OS 7.6, And one running Windows 98 for testing purposes. This is a niche group but they genuinely want this type of setup. (Once again no logins used by anyone other than me/other admins/mods on modern browsers).

I'm moving ahead with this as I've managed to get Xenforo to somewhat play nice on older systems. (Viewing wise) but is there a way to potentially add a check to the style to switch it based on useragent? Or even more importantly <noscript> style tag?

Most important thing for me is Xenforo has the most amazing resource manager I've tested and I've owned it for years and kinda put this off because of many competing factors in my life (2 kids, job stress etc.). But I want to batten down a website designed for retro gaming, but with a modern interface. IE Modern computers see the good stuff, retro computers can still access content. I know howto keep SSL disabled for retros so that's fine. But obviously a lot of Xenforo relies on js/css that they can't handle.

So my questions (2 options):
a simple check when they open the page to switch to a custom style with little to no css/java in it to reduce the chance of having an issue, and allowing them to still access files, but not necessarily login/register.
or
a different approach I was thinking was designing a website front end specifically for older computers that relies entirely on Xenforo's backend. IE SQL and whathave you. Designing this would be pretty massive but I think worthwhile if the first option doesn't work, because it would allow me to further customize the visuals and keep it 2002'ish for them, without any extra stuff. (Think Mac OS 7/8/9, Windows XP, etc)

This would allow me to use the resource manager however I still need to account for WHERE the files get saved and how the SQL sees them. I was able to find all of the other details in SQL but can't seem to find a download location to tell the browser where to grab from.

SMF used to have a tool called SSI.php that let you take nearly any forum element and put it on an external page from the forums. IE a frontend. I did test the HTML landing page addon but it won't even display (Guessing CSS) that being said the forum DOES display (Albeit ugly because of screen size, etc), and registration isn't feasible due to spam blocking tools using scripting to work so login/registration wouldn't be a thing for retro systems).

Let me know if you have any advice. :)

Top Bottom