1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Responsive Here....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sheldon, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Is it only me, or does @Arty and his Responsive Add-on work so much better than the current responsiveness of the site?

Or is it just because I am used to it? Just seems to me whatever he did has it working much more fluid. This isn't a knock on anyone by any stretch. Just seeing if I was the only one that has noticed it.
    euantor likes this.
  2. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

I see @Kier @Mike and @Ashley doing their best in designing a mobile design. :)

And thus far there have been no shocking show stoppers and I believe they'll iron out the details in due time.

They're sure doing a lot more and a lot better than any of the competitors that are out there.(y)

@Arty did do a good job though. And I plan on continuing to use his add-ons and styles.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  3. Jeremy P

Jeremy P Well-Known Member

That wasn't very constructive? I think the top navigation here is better than @Arty's but overall Arty's does look cleaner. Particularly the forum home page and thread listing, which here wrap to make the individual rows higher instead of keeping them the same size. Makes it look a little busy and it doesn't flow as nice.

Would also be nice if the sidebar was hidden with the option of expanding it, but I guess that'd be a bit of a rip from Arty's.

I also would think it nice if some of the more advanced formatting buttons on the editor were hidden from phones, but that's not really a huge deal.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  4. yavuz

yavuz Well-Known Member

I think there is lot of room for improvement. @Arty 's responsive style wasn't always perfect, monts of developing it, tuning... I think in time it will get there.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Doesn't Arty's display:none a ton of things? Making the interface cleaner, possibly why?
    Adam Howard likes this.
  6. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

They both have their benefits. We need to get a combination of the best of both into the core. I love the menus here on xenforo and that the sidebar is always on at the bottom instead of having to click something to display it. I love how clutter-free arty's design is and how it completely removes a lot of unnecessary things.
    Adam Howard and Sheldon like this.
  7. oman

oman Well-Known Member

In some ways, I do feel like I want to use Arty's for 1.2, but I know XF will make various improvements and fixes.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  8. tafreehm

tafreehm Well-Known Member

I believe creating a responsive design is front end work, while Kier and Mike specialize in backend coding. However, as said above, it was not a show stopper.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  9. Jeremy P

I always thought Kier did mostly design-related work while Mike did the programming architecture. Could be wrong though.
  10. jmurrayhead

From what Mike has said recently, and Kier has stated in the past, Mike prefers the coding and Kier prefers the designing.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  11. Sheldon

This definitely isn't any type of bashing discussion. I don't want it to come off that way. I just felt like (maybe because I was a HUGE fan of Arty's work), that his Responsive Add-On worked perfectly.
  12. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Actually, Kier is more UI/X and design.
    Jeremy and Adam Howard like this.
  13. jmurrayhead

Not even close to ninjaing me :p
  14. Sheldon

Some images for comparison. Pretty close looking actually. I suppose I was just so used to Arty's.

Forum Home

Category View

Thread View

Profile Page

Member Card Overlay
    Alien, Luke F, Shyuan and 6 others like this.
  15. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

16. Arantor

Arantor Active Member

Interesting, very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
  17. tafreehm

tafreehm Well-Known Member

that was just based on my observation tho. I could be wrong too :D
    Good to know..
  18. Jeremy P

I really like the cleaner forum home and thread listing, as well as the tabs on the profile page and the left-aligned text on the member overlay. I still like the header here more.
  19. kkm323

kkm323 Well-Known Member

I love the responsive style, but I still feel that my sites that uses a separate style is way faster.
    Who agrees that xf is slow in the mobile design? or is it just me?
  20. Matthew Hawley

Matthew Hawley Well-Known Member