Responsive Here....

I am used to and like it so much about Arty's responsive themes, but I also love xenForo 1.2's responsive especially the navigation bar.

Those screenshots make xenforo responsive design look better. No wonder why Arty gave up on that. :whistle:

Those screenshots make xenforo responsive design look better. No wonder why Arty gave up on that. :whistle:

I'm the opposite.

I prefer Arty's look much better. I don't think it was the decision to "give up on it", simply common sense to stop developing it now that it is included in the core.

I feel that Arty's is much cleaner in some aspects and XenForo's is more functional in some aspects. Need to find that middle ground. Either way, it's definitely heading in the right direction.

I think both responsive both serve their purposes and neither is better than the other or any worse. I never used Arty's responsive or purchased it rather because i read on his site that it needs the TMS add-on which I didn't want to install so the xenforo built in responsive will serve me greatly since I now am able to have a site supporting mobile devices.

I still think there is a place for both Arty's add-on and xenforo's responsive. Both are very good at what they do and are quality solutions.

That's the big debate on a phone, really. Responsive is cool and all, but do you really need all the information that's actually thrown at you? Forums provide a lot of subsidiary information that may not necessarily be useful all the time - on a screen where space is very limited, surely you need to focus on what's important rather than trying to fit everything in?

@Sheldon, without using or looking at Arty's my comment below can be completely off base.

I know that XenForo's responsive design uses JavaScript to enhance the functionality for things such as showing parts of the header based on available space, deciding which parts to hide & show. I believe (and don't quote me) that Arty's uses straight media queries, and just starts hiding stuff regardless of if it can fit (header), which is naturally faster than processing JavaScript.

Ahhh, that might explain it. I don't dig around the code, so I'm not sure either. Hah. I'm sure it will come together properly, not really too worried.

I'm a programmer, I love to read code (go ahead, call me weird). But I feel like that would be the most appropriate response / reason for it.

I think it all comes down to opinion. My opinion is removing too much makes you feel like you've lost a limb. I liked Arty's and was going to buy it when I convert to xenforo but since I've been using xenforo's responsive for the past week I now love it and now feel like Arty's responsive lacked too much functionality. By looking at those screenshots I much prefer XF's responsive. Arty did a great job however I don't think he will continue it, there just won't be a big market for it now. Instead people will tweak XF's responsive to suit personal taste.

I think it all comes down to opinion. My opinion is removing too much makes you feel like you've lost a limb. I liked Arty's and was going to buy it when I convert to xenforo but since I've been using xenforo's responsive for the past week I now love it and now feel like Arty's responsive lacked too much functionality. By looking at those screenshots I much prefer XF's responsive. Arty did a great job however I don't think he will continue it, there just won't be a big market for it now. Instead people will tweak XF's responsive to suit personal taste.

Arty has already stated he won't be continuing it.

I didn't realize anyone wanted him to continue the Responsive Add-On.

His responsive styles are still going to be updated and used, that is all I care about.

I didn't realize anyone wanted him to continue the Responsive Add-On.

His responsive styles are still going to be updated and used, that is all I care about.

There were comments in this thread about how both have a place. I disagree with that statement.

I think the comments were saying parts from both of the designs have a place, as in together. Not that he should continue his add-on.

Top Bottom