Responsive AdSense

Responsive AdSense

I thought I understood this tutorial, but I suspect I am missing something obvious.

Newcomers to our site are getting trapped by software ads that look a lot like what a naive user might think was part of our site. I really do not want them to see ads during the login and/or registration process. I modified the ads as shown in the code segment below.

Is there something obvious I am missing. The edits appear to have no effect at all.

Code:
<xen:if is="!in_array({$contentTemplate}, array('', 'message_page', 'error', 'search_form', 'search_form_post', 'search_form_profile_post', 'search_results', 'register_form', 'login', 'error_with_login', 'contact'))">
<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<!-- Xenforo MB Ad - Below NavBar -->
<ins class="adsbygoogle"
     style="display:block"
     data-ad-client="ca-pub-9999999999999"
     data-ad-slot="7777777777"
     data-ad-format="auto"></ins>
<script>
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
</script>
</xen:if>

I suspect you may be using the new Google Auto Ads. You should disable those and go back to the older Google AdSense Responsive ads code.

I don't know what kinds of sites those new Auto Ads would work for but they sure do NOT work well for forums. They try to cram in ads wherever they can find a space, including so-called "native" ads. They look like crap on a forum and in all likelihood will slow down your page loads.

Our marketing manager installed them. I will try to find out what is going on from him.

According to our Ad Manager tool in AdminCP they are 5 ads top, bottom, above posts, below posts and sidebar. I do not see them showing up anywhere else, but they seem to me to be violating the ToS and the certainly confuse new users who think the ad buttons are part of the registration and log in system.