Responsive ads revenue

My site is not the same as yours.

You need to determine the sizes to suit your style, as explained in my Responsive AdSense resource.
These trigger points are based on my style which includes the margin, padding, avatar block width and message content margin, which is 8+120+16+advert width+8.
So for the 468 wide advert it requires a width of 8+120+16+468+8 = 620.
Hence why the trigger point is width > 619.

These trigger points will vary from style to style - you will have to work them out.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/responsive-adsense.2084/

Yup.
I originally had 320px but the tiny left and right margins caused breakout.

This is something Google didn't think about very well - they should have made them 300px, which would allow for some padding and margin.

I think that's because you're smallest ads are 234px wide.

Yup.
I originally had 320px but the tiny left and right margins caused breakout.

This is something Google didn't think about very well - they should have made them 300px, which would allow for some padding and margin.

If 234px is the next size down from 320px,then that is what I will need to use.

I am wondering if with all these ad size changes with responsive that it effects advertisers due to not wanting to serve up "different" size ads on your site. I use to have ads that were proper for my site - cat stuff- brand names- since responsive I see junk that has nothing to do with my site and people would most likely not click as they did with the cat stuff. Thoughts?

I have made more from google adsense with their old ads than I have with their responsive beta smart size ads. Their ads are the last thing to load on my site. I hate that google ads are slow. They are so slow that members are upgrading to paid subcriptions on my site so they can get rid of it.

Im glad I seen this before changing to responsive!
Some sy they have made the same or more, i have been running adsense for 5 years and there is no doubt I have lost revs with responsive, i have chose to keep it due to n]many of my users use mobile devices.

I've also seen a big dip since using the smart sizing ads... I'm thinking about creating three different ad sizes and setting them to display at certain widths rather than letting Google automatically pick sizes. I'm curious to see if the sizes they display just aren't successful.

I guess it really depends on how well optimized or properly monetized your ads were in the first place which would explain why some are doing better and others are not.. I know when i switched to googles new beta responsive ad format.. Blending is an art.. I guess by the fact that my revenue increased that i was not blending my ads as well as i thought i was. At any rate Googles ad sizes are pretty crappy for our sidebars primarily. I also changed other aspects the same day i took my ads responsive like removing image and media based ads, leaving only text ads which do much better in my case..

I've also seen a big dip since using the smart sizing ads... I'm thinking about creating three different ad sizes and setting them to display at certain widths rather than letting Google automatically pick sizes. I'm curious to see if the sizes they display just aren't successful.
The issue is, the small "odd" sizes that you need to use to have responsive ads work "properly" the responsive size options are not very popular sizes amongst advertisers.

Google - guide to ad sizes

Read em and weep…

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 10.20.16 PM.webp

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 10.20.57 PM.webp

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 10.19.05 PM.webp

Last edited:
The issue is, the small "odd" sizes that you need to use to have responsive ads work "properly" the responsive size options are not very popular sizes amongst advertisers.

Google - guide to ad sizes

Read em and weep…

View attachment 68833

View attachment 68834

View attachment 68835
Yeah, I think that's really the issue. I'm considering replacing the leaderboard with one of the square ads maybe when the page falls below certain widths. Will have to experiment.

Yeah, I think that's really the issue. I'm considering replacing the leaderboard with one of the square ads maybe when the page falls below certain widths. Will have to experiment.
@mistypants - I like the first post ad you have in the right corner, do you have this ad also when a member is logged in?

Thanks,

@mistypants - I like the first post ad you have in the right corner, do you have this ad also when a member is logged in?

Thanks,
I do, i've been thinking of changing that and possibly experimenting with Digital Point's add on but when I used it before it had conflicts with the BB Code Manager. When I update to 1.3 I will probably give it another go.

I'd like to, one week, play with only displaying ads to guests or hiding them from my Premium users and see how it affects revenue.

@Martok - FYI- browsing your site I noticed your Google ad banner on the FT portal is overlapping your login button on an iPad. Seems ok on the forum home page.

image.webp

Top Bottom