TCF 2.0 EU consent for personalised ads and the impact on revenue

Pol57

Now I've upgraded to a modal that's TCF 2.0 compliant (quantcast choice) it seems people can click "more option" then "reject" and then no ads are shown?

This is testing in a private tab, maybe it's different if you browse normally?

If it's allowed (?); Is there a way to force people that have registered with the site to not have the option to opt out?

It seems like this is going to have a huge impact on revenue as only 60% consented and the vast majority are in the UK or EU

Looks like you need to be TCF 2.0 as I started getting this error this week:
1619098523664.webp

Now I've upgraded to a modal that's TCF 2.0 compliant (quantcast choice) it seems people can click "more option" then "reject" and then no ads are shown?
Yes.

This is testing in a private tab, maybe it's different if you browse normally?
I don't think so.

If it's allowed (?); Is there a way to force people that have registered with the site to not have the option to opt out?
No. You can't force users to accept a data processing that is not necessary to use your website - ads are not necessary.

What you can do however:
Tell your users who do not accept the necessary services that they have to pay, this is what (some) larger sites are doing.
https://www.computerbase.de/ (@Steffen)

It seems like this is going to have a huge impact on revenue as only 60% consented and the vast majority are in the UK or EU
Yes, a 30-40% drop in revenue seems quite normal.

Last edited:
I thought it was still supposed to show ads if you've opted out of personalization? Just less relevant ones. If you opt out of youtube personalised ads you still see ads that are targetted - but they just aren't targetted at that one user but anyone watching that video and what they're likey to like (presumably gathered from all the people that did allow it thus rendering it a bit useless?). This seems to say it a 4% decrease - https://www.zdnet.com/article/new-r...are-just-barely-more-efficient-than-dumb-ads/ . But on other xenforo sites and my own when you opt out (even by allowing a the legitimate use ones) the ad space is blank or internal ads.

No. You can't force users to accept a data processing that is not necessary to use your website - ads are not necessary.

What you can do however:
Tell your users who do not accept the necessary services that they have to pay, this is what (some) larger sites are doing.
Yep that's kinda what I mean. You can't force them to click yes, but can you force them for if they want to use your site then they have to say yes?

Not to be obtuse, but ads are necessary in a way as if everyone opted out of them there would be no site.

I thought it was still supposed to show ads if you've opted out of personalization? Just less relevant ones. If you opt out of youtube personalised ads you still see ads that are targetted - but they just aren't targetted at that one user but anyone watching that video and what they're likey to like. This seems to say it a 4% decrease - https://www.zdnet.com/article/new-r...are-just-barely-more-efficient-than-dumb-ads/ . But on other xenforo sites and my own when you opt out (even by allowing a the legitimate use ones) the ad space is blank or internal ads.

Yep that's kinda what I mean. You can't force them to click yes, but can you force them for if they want to use your site then they have to say yes?

Not to be obtuse, but ads are necessary in a way as if everyone opted out of them there would be no site.
Yes. Just like cookies. You can refuse to accept cookies but if you do you may not be able to use the site. In the case of ads, if they don't say yes they can find another site.

I thought it was still supposed to show ads if you've opted out of personalization?
Depends on what the user does give (or deny) consent for.

TCF 2 defines 10 purposes (+ 2 special purposes) for which the user can give/deny consent.
Out of those, Google for example uses 11 - if a visitor denys any of those that are required no ads can be served at all.

So if a visitor for example denies purpose 1 no Ads can be delivered at all.
If purpose 3 or 4 are denied no personalized ads can be delivered and if purpose 2 is denied no basic ads can be delivered as well.

If other purposes (7, 9, 10) are denied Google theoretically could deliver ads, but they won't do that as they couldn't measure performance.

So all in all:
The user must give a bunch of consent, otherwise no ads can be displayed.

Yes. Just like cookies. You can refuse to accept cookies but if you do you may not be able to use the site. In the case of ads, if they don't say yes they can find another site.
Thanks, is there any easy to implement cookie consent that allows for either accept them or don't use the site?

So all in all:
The user must give a bunch of consent, otherwise no ads can be displayed.
Interesting! So it might be better to just opt out of personalized ads all together in the EU not ask for consent and take the 4% hit rather than take the 30-40% hit of no ads from people that don't consent?

What does confuse me is there's two levels for basic ads?

The legitimate interest ones that you have to object to

1619181127668.png

and the normal ones shown under the more options that are set as off by default by Quantcast

1619181207741.png

are these two different things as they appear to be?

Either way off or object seems the same outcome that no ads are served

But google themselves show adverts on YouTube if you open a private tab and turn off ad personalization? So apply different rules to their own sites compared to what they do with AdSense publishers?

1619181441690.webp

Interesting! So it might be better to just opt out of personalized ads all together in the EU not ask for consent and take the 4% hit rather than take the 30-40% hit of no ads from people that don't consent?
No. At least for Google Ads this won't help. Google does need at least consent for Purpose 1 as they always set cookies, no matter if personalized ads are used or not - and such cookies do need consent, you can't get around this.
What you could try to do is to find an ad provider that can deliver ads without any cookies ... good luck ;)

Thanks, is there any easy to implement cookie consent that allows for either accept them or don't use the site?
This is not legally possible under GDPR (I don't want to discuss this; at least this is the case for Germany -> Planet49) - you can't force visitors to accept certain data processing that is not covered by one of the legal bases of GDPR Art 6.

What you can do is offer payed access to your website without any Ad & Tracking (Google Analytics) for visitors who do not want to accept such data processing.

This is not legally possible under GDPR (I don't want to discuss this; at least this is the case for Germany -> Planet49) - you can't force visitors to accept certain data processing.

What you can do is offer payed access to your website without any Ad & Tracking (Google Analytics) for visitors who do not want to accept such data processing.
I don't understand why its not legally possible to say accept the cookies or leave the site, but saying accept the cookies or pay to use the site is?

Actually after being live for a full day I think I might have over worried about how many were saying no.

With a bounce rate of 16% the amount of people saying no is only 5%.

So about the same -4% loss some say from showing non personalised ads.

Although some users on reddit are saying after saying no they still get ads but annoyingly bombarded by the same one, which is what I was expecting if they say no to personalization.

1619183512669.webp

I notice after rejecting them all on Avforums you seem to just get the same Currys ad at the top and the rest of the slots are taken up with internal ads for av forums. This is what I was expecting - get some ads just not personalised

1619183793639.webp

I notice after rejecting them all on Avforums you seem to just get the same Currys ad at the top and the rest of the slots are taken up with internal ads for av forums. This is what I was expecting - get some ads just not personalised
I am not a lawyer, but IMHO this is not fully compliant - I still do get cookies for Google Analytics, Google Doubleclick and skimresources.com (whatever that is?) even if a accept nothing and object to all legitimate uses but I do not get the banner as shown in your screenshot.

I am not a lawyer, but IMHO this is not fully compliant - I still do get cookies for Google Analytics, Google Doubleclick and skimresources.com (whatever that is?) even if a accept nothing and object to all legitimate uses but I do not get the banner as shown in your screenshot.
Well google themselves for their own sites don't let you opt out of all cookies, they tell you to either accept them or use your browser to reject them. This is the stance I'd like to take :LOL:

1619184654047.png

Healthline seem to only allow access to 10 special pages unless you accept all of their cookies and trackers.

1619608282667.webp

Does anyone know of a cookie consent generator like this that essentially doesn't allow access unless they are accepted?

Top Bottom