RM 1.2 Resources discussion thread visible to members who do not have permission.

IPF

I am testing the resource manager in my forum and a couple of things caught my attention.

Issue 1:
I have a node where members cannot view threads by others. Moderators and administrators can see all threads in that node.
Capture.webp

1. I posted a new resource
  2. The discussion thread is posted in this above mentioned node
  3. When I test user permissions, this member is able to see my thread. Member is neither a moderator nor an administrator.
  4. But the same member is unable to see other forum threads (posted by other members) in this very same node. So the permission works correctly for other forum threads.
Second issue:
Since I am still testing RM, members do not have permissions to view it. So it does not show up in navbar for them. But the new discussion thread is showing up in the sidebar for them. When they click on it, they are able to see the thread's content and from there go to the resource. [I tried turning off BD widget framework temporarily. So the sidebar widget is default widget (new posts)]

capture 1.webp

Hope I have explained this properly.
Is there any user permissions that I should be aware of for resource manager?

Thanks
IPF.

When I test user permissions, this member is able to see my thread. Member is neither a moderator nor an administrator.
The permissions are applied to you. Meaning, you get the permission to only view your own threads. As such, this is what I would expect.

But the new discussion thread is showing up in the sidebar for them.
The resource thread permissions are independent from the resource permissions. It's just a thread so it will follow all of the standard node permissions. You'll need to adjust the permissions to fit at the node level.

Reactions: IPF
The permissions are applied to you. Meaning, you get the permission to only view your own threads. As such, this is what I would expect.
@Mike, I was testing another member's permissions using this feature (image below). This member is not supposed to see threads started by others in this node.

Capture.webp

It's just a thread so it will follow all of the standard node permissions.
True. This is what I thought too. There are a lot of forum threads in this node that were started by others. When I test this member's permission, this member is not able to see those threads which is the expected behavior. But this member is able to see my resource thread alone.

It could be some add-on too. I am having similar issues with @Siropu's custom tabs. When I tested permissions, tabs were visible to members who were not supposed to see it. I think I have messed up the permissions :). I will start from scratch again and see. Thanks for the reply.

I was testing another member's permissions using this feature (image below). This member is not supposed to see threads started by others in this node.
They're not. You are testing the permission set they have with your account. See this comment on the test permissions page:
As this user's permissions will be applied to your account, keep in mind that user-specific permissions will affect you. For example, if the user you're testing as can only edit his/her own posts, you will only be able to edit your own posts.
Replacing that with "viewing only their own threads" and you'll see that since the permission set is applied to you, you would only be able to view your own threads.

This is one of the reasons why the test permission system has been mostly superseded by the analyze permissions system. It works, but you have to understand what it's doing (taking their permission configuration and applying it to your account).

Top Bottom