RM 1.0 Resource Manager Feedback and Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
There has been a considerable amount of discussion and comments on the Resource Manager since it has been implemented... not all of which has been positive. ;) However, I do want to mention that it is still early days and what you're seeing borders on the "minimum viable product" (MVP) concept and will be improved. You can't develop a product solely in a vacuum -- you need to see how it works when people use it and that's when you discover things that need to be changed.

We have taken a lot of feedback on board, and there are various features that we're looking at. Some of these include:
  • Purchase support for resources (both for a "single owner" like a shop and "app store" style)
  • Custom resource fields (by category, ideally)
  • Category hierarchy
  • Review support for ratings
  • Better limits on who can rate
  • And some others :)
Conversely, there are some suggestions that we don't necessarily agree with and some considerations that need to be taken into account that might not be immediately obvious. I want to cover some of these suggestions to let you know what we think and to try to foster some in-depth discussion. I feel that a lot of the initial thoughts that have been posted have not necessarily thought about other perspectives or what the purpose of X is.

The Resource Manager is a "general use" add-on

This means that despite it only being used on XenForo.com, it's designed to be used by other people with different requirements and desires. As such, when we implement something, we can't just hack in something specific for XF.com. It needs to be approached in a more generic way. Sometimes this way is obvious and most ideas can be spun into something more generic, but it always means more work -- the amount more is what varies, sometimes orders of magnitude more.

The category sidebar should be on the right to be consistent

I find this a slightly weird suggestion and one I don't really understand completely.

First, you'll note that the right sidebar you see on most pages contains less important information. In most cases, if it weren't there, you'd still be able to get around. The category sidebar is the primary navigation system within the resource manager, so it deserves a more prominent display. Most sites either use top- and/or left-based navigation system; I can't think of one with primary navigation in a right column.

Second, it's not actually inconsistent. There are various other places in XenForo that use left-column navigation: Help, the account pages, and automatic page node navigation.

The Resource Manager is a shop front for digital downloads / discussions in resources

(I'm aware of the irony of me calling it that when you can't sell individual items directly, but as we've repeatedly said, it's something we want, but wasn't part of the MVP.)

The talk about whether discussions should be in resources gets to the heart of what the purpose of the Resource Manager is. Foremost, the RM is designed to be a shop front for digital downloads - like Amazon (they do digital downloads :)) and your pick of app stores. The primary purpose is to make it easier to discover resources and to keep up to date with them.

Going back to just using threads means that updates to resources are intermixed with general questions, so if you're running add-on X, you have to watch the thread if you want to be informed of updates, but then you're forced to wade through the other stuff to find updates. The RM solves that by allowing you to watch a resource and be notified whenever it's updated, not when there's a comment. Always keep in mind that there are a large number of people that don't post in the add-on threads at all; they just use them. (The same way we have plenty of customers that never post here and probably haven't even registered and have never had "human" contact with us.)

So, this leads me into a few philosophical sounding questions...

In the context of resources, what are discussions? Is it saying that you love it or it worked well (or you hate it)? The reviews system (which would display within a resource) seems to handle that. Is it saying thanks (or other form of appreciation)? The like system and possibly reviews can solve that, but regardless that doesn't make for compelling reading for most others. :)

So, then we have functionality questions, support, and suggestions. (Anything else I can't think of?) So if the thread is made up of that, what is the distinct value of including that in the resource? Keep in mind that you can always watch the thread if you're interested in more than just the resource (which a lot of people aren't). As a matter of fact, doesn't using the thread system make it easier to work with the comments on resources if you feel they're very important? They keep the visibility via new/recent threads, whereas they wouldn't be there if they were in the resource. There's also the question of whether it's actually worth it to implement all the additional functionality when we have a thread system, though that may vary on a case by case basis.

I do take that allowing the resource author to moderate their own thread would be cool.

Then, the next philosophical question, what is in a resource? Is it just keeping the layout? Is it showing when you view the resource from the list? I'm genuinely curious about this. In theory, we could make the resource threads not show up in what's new and only be discoverable via the resource system. You'd only get updates to them if you watched them. While that would appear to be "in" the resource (the technical implementation notwithstanding), but what's the benefit?

I am after some serious discussion on this, as I'm trying to understand the mindset -- the discussion just seems to pale in comparison to the importance of the resource (for people looking for resources), and the fact that I don't need to ever visit the resource itself to keep up with the discussion means that I don't see a disadvantage to the thread system.

Resources as a "forum" (multiple discussions)

I understand this idea, and it's not unreasonable as a general concept, though it isn't a priority based on what I mentioned earlier: the focus of the resource is on the resource and keeping up to date with it. It's also a big undertaking. :)

In terms of XF.com, there are some add-ons (in particular) that it'd be useful for, but there's nothing preventing authors from setting up their own areas that consist of more than one thread. People will have different approaches and desires with this, so I don't think they should necessarily be shoehorned into a particular approach. You might say that the thread is a particular approach, but the thread isn't required--we have locked one as the author requested support via his site--and there may be some changes to emphasize that down the line. I'm not sure yet.

I'm sure there are more things I'll come up with, but I think that's enough for now...

I have to completely disagree with that.

I am watching all of the resources which I have installed as I am interested in knowing when the developer updates them.

I have no interest in watching the threads though as I don't need to be alerted every time someone posts on the thread.

The separation between the two is extremely useful.
Why is this even an issue..

You can easily have the thread and resource all in one and have an option to
  • Receive resource development alerts
  • Receive resource thread alerts
You can even set up options in the User Preferences to automatically subscribe to either or both.

Why is this even an issue..

You can easily have the thread and resource all in one and have an option to
  • Receive resource development alerts
  • Receive resource thread alerts
You can even set up options in the User Preferences to automatically subscribe to either or both.

I can't really understand it either, I read before it was removed rating comments are going to be added?

whatever that means is this comments being added in releases for users to post comments which are tied into ratings? I seen it in your post brogan but it now seems to be removed.

Are rating comments tied to ratings within the releases happening? because I definitely seen it in your post brogan.

edit: which would effectively kill anychance of standard threads being included in releases or even accommodated

No, there wasn't.

I have not edited that post or any others to remove any content.

If you could possibly anwser there was a question tied into the previous post it helps us resource site admins decide instead of needlessly waiting for features and a direction that will ultimately make us loose our reources and resources posted by our members.

but anyway "review support for ratings" meaning comment enabled within the release thread meaning discussions/resources will not be accommodated in anyway cementing the fact discussions & releases will 100% be separated but discussion within the release thread discussing ratings will be happening. o_O

There was a little more than that.
Continually calling someone out (effectively as a liar) like that on something that you really have no idea to be true is not acceptable. Consider this a warning.

There was a little more than that. but anyway "review support for ratings" meaning comment enabled within the release thread meaning discussions/resources will not be accommodated in anyway cementing the fact discussions & releases will 100% be separated but discussion within the release thread discussing ratings will be happening. o_O
That is one of the whole purposes of this thread - I spent quite a long time discussing the ins and outs of the options, what advantages there were and disadvantages. This is a discussion thread to see if it's useful, but there have been very few (though there have few some) responses as to why people don't necessarily agree with my perspective.

If you want a definitive, then no discussions will be separate from resources. See my first post for details. (Subject to change in the future if needed.)

Continually calling someone out (effectively as a liar) like that on something that you really have no idea to be true is not acceptable. Consider this a warning.

That is one of the whole purposes of this thread - I spent quite a long time discussing the ins and outs of the options, what advantages there were and disadvantages. This is a discussion thread to see if it's useful, but there have been very few (though there have few some) responses as to why people don't necessarily agree with my perspective.

If you want a definitive, then no discussions will be separate from resources. See my first post for details. (Subject to change in the future if needed.)

Your post is vague on discussions/releases being tied in. Warning? I seen ratings and comments being tied into ratings in one of brogans posts so don't make me out to be a liar when i've no need to lie about what i read.

Why bother asking for input then.
I'm asking for genuine input. I have laid out quite a lot of the reasons it's approached like this and am open to feedback. A post like "if it doesn't do X I'm not buying it" doesn't really help if X is going to take months to develop properly and/or we don't think it's a good feature.

I have given (what I believe to be) a logical and reasoned explanation. I've been asking for people to tell me why they disagree, not just that they do. We can't do anything with that. I've asked open ended questions and given my interpretations, but if you want a different approach, then we need to understand it.

In terms of XF.com, there are some add-ons (in particular) that it'd be useful for, but there's nothing preventing authors from setting up their own areas that consist of more than one thread. People will have different approaches and desires with this, so I don't think they should necessarily be shoehorned into a particular approach. You might say that the thread is a particular approach, but the thread isn't required--we have locked one as the author requested support via his site--and there may be some changes to emphasize that down the line. I'm not sure yet..

Mike - I really think you should strongly consider the resource as a forum option, I think it's an excellent idea overall.

At the bottom of each resource you could have several standard forum categories say -
  • Resource Feedback
  • Resource Support
  • Resource modifications
Also you could allow the mod author to create a couple extra too if (s)he wanted to. This way you've got minimal baggage on the resource front end and you've got all the loose ends tied up in the back and packaged as a whole for the end user.

I'm asking for genuine input. I have laid out quite a lot of the reasons it's approached like this and am open to feedback.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/resource-manager-feedback-and-thoughts.26969/#post-321184

I think if you look at what is happening. The resource (old) here at xenforo.com are in an archive now and all resources submitters are being asked to post their resources to the new system which tells you that discussions and releases will not be part of the resource manager.

My personal thoughts are it's serving xenforo well enough but the average site whom will have to reply on their contributors to re-post everything is asking alot plus adding additional forums to our sites is also asking alot which is why I think this is more catered and geared towards xenforo.com not the average everyday resource site. The message here is your asking forum owners to abandon all their resources/posts and you won't get those back since alot of resource sites rely heavily on member contribution whom probably will not re-post everything.

Perhaps if they do include resources/discussions (I can't see them including it in) no reply on this yet from them. There's also other issues for owners that don't structure their resources areas with separation but with integration.

The seperation of threads and discussions is definitely a concern especially if you have 1000s of resources posted by your members whom are not willing to re-post.

Overall, developing this behind closed doors didn't yield a superior product.
I heard someone say earlier that the release of the Resource Manager wasn't very "Xenforo"-like.
And I can understand those sentiments.

I love the way wordpress does it resource manager. Everything is broken up into tabs:
  • General Information (what is currently there; default)
  • Release Notes
  • Screenshots
  • Support
It would be nice to allow a site admin to customize each tab and add/remove them and he/she feels fit. The resource author can pick which tabs they would like to display on their resource. The general tab should be required. Each tab can be a "type" (tabs are typed by the admin not the resource creator):
  • Page
  • Gallery
  • Thread
Then each users can subscribe to an individual tab. When there is an updates to a tab, an email gets sent to those subscribed to the corresponding tab. And everything would be maintained within the resource manager itself and not send users out of the resource manager to chat in the support "tab". Would be my perfect world, but I know others might have their ideal solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom