Resource Icons

Shelley

It's amazing how a silly icon gets 36 likes and multiple file uploads gets 3. I'll be honest mike, This does not cater for people providing graphic resources whatsoever. Infact, what does a unique icon hold in the value department? as a feature? Seriously, i would really like to know the value of this?

As a feature, it was one of the top requested things for the Resource Manager. Not all features are added to cater to how the RM functions here on this site, and if you are using it as a reviews, a movie poster is much more useful than an avatar.

You may not see the value, but nothing is added to the software without a purpose or if it adds no value.

As a feature, it was one of the top requested things for the Resource Manager. Not all features are added to cater to how the RM functions here on this site, and if you are using it as a reviews, a movie poster is much more useful than an avatar.

You may not see the value, but nothing is added to the software without a purpose or if it adds no value.

Try telling me something I don't know. High likes = It's going to be included even if it's a (I was harsh earlier with the silly icon comment) Extremely redundant and Idiotic feature. So what I got from that reply is (even if the suggestion is not resource manager related and it caters for people that want to use the RM as a review system we're going to include it. Instead of just replying to a critical post and looking at it as such with such a vague response how about priority features instead of some Icon that just doesn't serve any purpose for people using the resource manager.

Permissions - That's a pretty high priority feature in that the RM could do with more permissions since we're using add-ons for an add-on to fill this permission gap. I would have thought adding unique icons just because of a high like count and adding isn't how features should be selected. I know fine well High liked suggestions aren't included over lower liked suggestions otherwise we would have seen Arny Vee smiley categories/sorting included over lower liked suggestions so I know this isn't why this got picked.

Movie reviews? Are we catering for review systems now? People that want to adapt it to another product other than what this product was/is developed for?

As for the feature resource - can you link me to the suggestion for this? Would like to see the like count on this one. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/staff-picks-a-staff-approved-suggested-resource.28674/ << 5 likes

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ability-to-upload-icon-avatar.26854/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/styles-section-thumbnail-instead-of-user-avatar.26926/

For a community centered around discussing TV shows, movies, etc., a movie review is a resource. Its an example, it works. Its not adapting it to be 'something its not', its perfectly viable as a resource in its current state.

As with XenForo, this isn't the end all be all of features in the next release, Mike & Kier haven't announced everything. This has value and many people asked for it. Suggestions that are included in the software are partially based on like count. That's a fact. Its not the only reason a suggestion is included or the only factor in its inclusion. Coming from a developer, implementing a feature is a balance of time, effort, complexity, and the possibility to break backwards compatibility. Larger suggestions (such as ArnyVee's smiley categories) are quite complex and have the possibility of breaking backwards compatibility in terms of users upgrading.

Its an option, so if you find it useless, leave it off. If you see ways to improve it, make a suggestion. Dismissing a feature because you don't see the usefulness here is unproductive at best.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ability-to-upload-icon-avatar.26854/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/styles-section-thumbnail-instead-of-user-avatar.26926/

For a community centered around discussing TV shows, movies, etc., a movie review is a resource. Its an example, it works. Its not adapting it to be 'something its not', its perfectly viable as a resource in its current state.

As with XenForo, this isn't the end all be all of features in the next release, Mike & Kier haven't announced everything. This has value and many people asked for it. Suggestions that are included in the software are partially based on like count. That's a fact. Its not the only reason a suggestion is included or the only factor in its inclusion. Coming from a developer, implementing a feature is a balance of time, effort, complexity, and the possibility to break backwards compatibility. Larger suggestions (such as ArnyVee's smiley categories) are quite complex and have the possibility of breaking backwards compatibility in terms of users upgrading.

Its an option, so if you find it useless, leave it off. If you see ways to improve it, make a suggestion. Dismissing a feature because you don't see the usefulness here is unproductive at best.

Movie reviews then are best for review based products but that kind explains why this feature is added http://xenforo.com/community/threads/resource-manager-custom-fields.59872/ although it will serve resources like graphics styles and add-ons so that's no big deal. It seems like the feature is catering for specialized boards

If the other criteria regarding adding suggestions is the time you have and complexity then simply say and I'll leave it at that. To say my post is unproductive because it goes against the grain of the wood because I'm being critical is down to your own view (heck I could even call this post a resource) if I'm going by your description what a resource is.

Remove it - There's one way of improving it and build upon the RM what it is intended to be and concerntrate on developing it for people who are releasing resources not reviews.

Movie reviews then are best for review based products but that kind explains why this feature is added http://xenforo.com/community/threads/resource-manager-custom-fields.59872/ although it will serve resources like graphics styles and add-ons so that's no big deal. It seems like the feature is catering for specialized boards

If the other criteria regarding adding suggestions is the time you have and complexity then simply say and I'll leave it at that. To say my post is unproductive because it goes against the grain of the wood because I'm being critical is down to your own view (heck I could even call this post a resource) if I'm going by your description what a resource is.

Remove it - There's one way of improving it and build upon the RM what it is intended to be and concerntrate on developing it for people who are releasing resources not reviews.

Are there bigger and more important features that should be added? Sure.
Does them adding this hurt anything? No. It probably took less than an hour and in some cases it'll look nice. I get where you're coming from in saying this isn't something that substantially improves a resource manager but at the same time what's a reason for not adding it? Aside from wanting something else added instead?

Reviews was an example, but its not the only example of where a resource icon could come in quite handy. Most of your resources could easily benefit from a small icon with one or two of the smilies, or node icons, or even your avatar that works for your most recent resource.

Custom fields makes the Resource Manager quite flexible, yes, and it caters to XenForo.com as well as a 'review' system if someone so chooses to make it into one. However, custom fields have absolutely no relation to this feature.

I also didn't call your post unproductive because it goes against the grain. I'm very open minded and am always up to listen to opposing opinions, but when its nothing more than a rant about it being a useless feature and saying that time needs to be spent on features you want without any suggestions on how to improve the current feature it enters the realm of unproductive. If you feel the need to discuss this particular comment, please PC me directly, its unrelated to this feature as well.

I don't see why adding this feature is such a big deal. It's a nice feature to me and will actually be very helpful when I do turn the Resource Manager into a review system. However, I could see this being useful for addon developers who might want to create a little "Icon" for their product to make it stand out. Seems cool to me.

This seems overly dramatic for very little reason.

Reviews was an example, but its not the only example of where a resource icon could come in quite handy. Most of your resources could easily benefit from a small icon with one or two of the smilies, or node icons, or even your avatar that works for your most recent resource.

Custom fields makes the Resource Manager quite flexible, yes, and it caters to XenForo.com as well as a 'review' system if someone so chooses to make it into one. However, custom fields have absolutely no relation to this feature.

I also didn't call your post unproductive because it goes against the grain. I'm very open minded and am always up to listen to opposing opinions, but when its nothing more than a rant about it being a useless feature and saying that time needs to be spent on features you want without any suggestions on how to improve the current feature it enters the realm of unproductive. If you feel the need to discuss this particular comment, please PC me directly, its unrelated to this feature as well.

No not features I want so you can throw that accusation out of the window. Features which help to improve the RM functionality, not cater for a review product. If your going to pick and choose from my posts Jeremy then don't claim your being open minded if your seeing what I'm saying as a rant.

I just think it's a feature best used for a review product but if your cannot see the argument in that so be it. I'll leave it at that since a few people have expressed a fondness for it which is a subtle hint in saying stfu shelley. :)

At the moment it's just a feature along with many others that we have not seen & will be included in Mike's what's new posts. Are we really going to go though threads like this everytime something is introduced not to your liking?

Jesus, take a chill pill

At the moment it's just a feature along with many others that we have not seen & will be included in Mike's what's new posts. Are we really going to go though threads like this everytime something is introduced not to your liking?

Jesus, take a chill pill

I don't use or need half the features in xenforo and I haven't commented about them so keep trying.

I find the feature really handy in the sense that the icon could be anything, either related to the style/plugin (Style Logo, Key conceptual design, plugin wire frame image, etc..) or even the author's company logo... Much better than the generic avatars that add no true information other than the obvious. In my opinion it's a great way for branding. My 2 cents.

I have to say, I think it's an awesome feature.

At some point I will either be having some sort of official company "brand" or logo or maybe a logo for each major product I release so I can only see it as a positive feature.

I am actually looking forward to this feature and am incredibly glad it's been added. I don't understand all the fuss. We don't even know the rest of the features planned for rm 1.1.

Try telling me something I don't know. High likes = It's going to be included even if it's a (I was harsh earlier with the silly icon comment) Extremely redundant and Idiotic feature. So what I got from that reply is (even if the suggestion is not resource manager related and it caters for people that want to use the RM as a review system we're going to include it. Instead of just replying to a critical post and looking at it as such with such a vague response how about priority features instead of some Icon that just doesn't serve any purpose for people using the resource manager.

Permissions - That's a pretty high priority feature in that the RM could do with more permissions since we're using add-ons for an add-on to fill this permission gap. I would have thought adding unique icons just because of a high like count and adding isn't how features should be selected. I know fine well High liked suggestions aren't included over lower liked suggestions otherwise we would have seen Arny Vee smiley categories/sorting included over lower liked suggestions so I know this isn't why this got picked.

Movie reviews? Are we catering for review systems now? People that want to adapt it to another product other than what this product was/is developed for?

As for the feature resource - can you link me to the suggestion for this? Would like to see the like count on this one. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/staff-picks-a-staff-approved-suggested-resource.28674/ << 5 likes
People buy the software because they like it and want to see on it what they expect of it.

You need to include the "features" that customers wants because customers are your business. You work for your customers so you need to do what your customers want.

Really simple, don't you think?

People buy the software because they like it and want to see on it what they expect of it.

You need to include the "features" that customers wants because customers are your business. You work for your customers so you need to do what your customers want.

Really simple, don't you think?

How do you account for prefixes for RM not being included (27 likes) and RM Resource feature being added? (5 likes) How do you account for Arny's Smiley suggestion (100 or just below) and other suggestions that got included below the amount of likes the smiley manager suggestion got? So no, it's not that simple and jumping on the band wagon for the hell of it doesn't bring us closer to answering why X-feature got included, why x-feature didn't and also why you thought for one moment I was going to take your snide comment up the backside. What do you think? Simple? no because the other factors in decision making would be helpful rather than a "it had a high like count".

It's not even about the feature now, it's why this thread got split which gives the impression that I created a thread to rant when it was part of the HYS. Xenforo have taken my positive comments about features, liked them yet when a critical comment comes in the thread is split when they know that the thread is going to be pounced on by users here and is going to be far from productive as mike thinks (support ticket) I asked for this thread to be deleted to eliminate that but since Mike is unwilling to budge, staff ignored my PC/report to delete they must deem it worthwhile and welcome the comments coming in at me. I'll deal with it, but if your like some, are a selective reader then keep going.

How do you account for prefixes for RM not being included (27 likes) and RM Resource feature being added? (5 likes) How do you account for Arny's Smiley suggestion (100 or just below) and other suggestions that got included below the amount of likes the smiley manager suggestion got? So no, it's not that simple and jumping on the band wagon for the hell of it doesn't bring us closer to answering why X-feature got included, why x-feature didn't and also why you thought for one moment I was going to take your snide comment up the backside. What do you think? Simple? no because the other factors in decision making would be helpful rather than a "it had a high like count".

It's not even about the feature now, it's why this thread got split which gives the impression that I created a thread to rant when it was part of the HYS. Xenforo have taken my positive comments about features, liked them yet when a critical comment comes in the thread is split when they know that the thread is going to be pounced on by users here and is going to be far from productive as mike thinks (support ticket) I asked for this thread to be deleted to eliminate that but since Mike is unwilling to budge, staff ignored my PC/report to delete they must deem it worthwhile and welcome the comments coming in at me. I'll deal with it, but if your like some, are a selective reader then keep going.
That's a good point. However, I think you should give more time to the developers to show what else they have in mind

How do you account for prefixes for RM not being included (27 likes) and RM Resource feature being added? (5 likes)
I'd like to see it too, but how do we know this is not already included? We've only had 2 HYS's with regards to the updated RM - I imagine there will be a few more, hence it not running on XF just yet :)

I have to say, I think it's an awesome feature.

At some point I will either be having some sort of official company "brand" or logo or maybe a logo for each major product I release so I can only see it as a positive feature.

I agree with you 100%. I can easily see this working out for the positive. I love the idea of being able to brand resources, or have a logo to represent your entire body of work.

Great addition.

Top Bottom