Resource Icons

Just want to throw my 2 cents here:

1. @Shelley , I like all your suggestions for RM;

2. I understand each individual has specific need for his/her site. Just want to make one point here: A great feature(in terms of after-effect) isn't necessarily determined by having a lot of likes BEFORE they get implemented and used. Think of innovations in the world, how many of them can get a lot of likes before people actually see and make use of them?

Once to RM 1.1 will released, if the prefixes (eg because they have a lot of likes) are not added, then yes, this thread will make sense (although I know you're not the author Shelley)

It's amazing how a silly icon gets 36 likes and multiple file uploads gets 3. I'll be honest mike, This does not cater for people providing graphic resources whatsoever. Infact, what does a unique icon hold in the value department? as a feature? Seriously, i would really like to know the value of this?
I suspect it's more about the time/effort to implement something vs. the demand. While I certainly see how someone could use the multiple file upload thing, I'm pretty sure it would be for the minority. It would also be quite a bit of changes internally because you really would need to change how the RM is internally designed and works (how stuff is displayed, downloaded, would change. Version number tracking (and how reviews are based on that version number would change. So would how alerts are done when new files are uploaded.). It's not a trivial change when it comes down to it.

On the flip side, a custom icon doesn't change how the RM itself functions. It's more or less something you can add without needing to change other parts of the RM (I can't think of any part of the RM that interacts with the avatar/icon).

While it might not serve a "deeply functional need", it's something that more or less can be used by any resource and doesn't require fundamental changes to how the guts of the RM works.

It's like someone buying a car and being mad the manufacturer decided to offer a new color as an option rather than an option for it to run on biofuel.

Btw - not saying you are mad or anything. Just as a developer myself, I would have focused my time in the icon thing vs. the multi file thing since it's *far* less complicated to implement and would be useful to more users. Maybe not *as* useful, but still useful to more and again... WAY less work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom