Resource Icons

I think all the ideas in this thread are good ideas and I hope they get implemented someday soon. I don't see it stated anywhere that things asked for in this thread are not going to be developed. All I see is two announcements of some new features. If past practice dictates the future then we may very well see more announcements of more features in the future prior to it's release. For all we know everyone in this thread may get what they want.

That being said, it's expensive software, so customers should speak up about what they want. And on the other side of the coin, I'm sure the developers would like to make it more useful for a larger audience so they can sell more. The more they sell the more you will see outside developers mod it and add even more cool features. As it is right now getting developers to make their mods work with it is a brick wall. Mostly because they have no need to buy it.

That's my take. Peace

Coming from a developer, implementing a feature is a balance of time, effort, complexity, and the possibility to break backwards compatibility. Larger suggestions (such as ArnyVee's smiley categories) are quite complex and have the possibility of breaking backwards compatibility in terms of users upgrading.

I think that in the senteces aboves, Jeremy has got the point.
You have X resources (time, money, personnel, etc), you have to share them among different product/plugin and different features. I think that there are features that can be completed with relatively little resources and then i can allocate on it spared resourced. Maybe Resource Icon required Y resources while multiple upload requires 4 times Y resources and 4Y is beyond the current resources stack reserved for RM.

Just my 2 cents.

Bare in mind, despite how this all appears that I never created this thread.

I don't really care what is being added but I questioned why and how a (IMO) a redundant icon feature and Resource Feature with 5 likes takes priority over much more needed features (permissions) for example. How do I know the examples (features I mentioned) aren't being included.

I'd like to see it too, but how do we know this is not already included? We've only had 2 HYS's with regards to the updated RM - I imagine there will be a few more, hence it not running on XF just yet :)

How do you know that they will? But as I stated yesterday, It's not about features but rather why a 5 like feature is deemed as more important that say (for example) more permissions? I know that using add-ons to extend upon add-ons isn't what I want to be adding to my site but the question was more lined up towards "why did this feature make it in" when clearly permissions are needed. Perhaps you disagree but that is a question that will go in circles. :)

I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to this feature but perhaps one of the versions of the RM will start to cater for people providing graphics.

How do you know that they will? But as I stated yesterday, It's not about features but rather why a 5 like feature is deemed as more important that say (for example) more permissions?

Likes aren't the only factor. If they were you would have a point. If only one person wants a feature that takes 10 seconds to implement, and 100 people want a feature that is going to take 1,000 hours of programming, chances are the one like feature is going to be added first. Time and difficulty probably factor in just as much, possibly more, than the likes a suggestion receives.

Bare in mind, despite how this all appears that I never created this thread.
I know you didn't make this thread :)

How do you know that they will?
I don't, but I'm happy to wait and see.

But as I stated yesterday, It's not about features but rather why a 5 like feature is deemed as more important that say (for example) more permissions? I know that using add-ons to extend upon add-ons isn't what I want to be adding to my site but the question was more lined up towards "why did this feature make it in" when clearly permissions are needed. Perhaps you disagree but that is a question that will go in circles. :)

Really, I neither agree or disagree. I'm on the fence on this one. I like the two current HYS's for what they are - information on what's coming. Will the changes be of use to me? Not that I know of - the only site I run currently doesn't have the RM installed (although I do have a licence for it on that particular install). I don't know the thought processes behind the devs, but I would take a guess and say they're making changes that won't change too much of the core - maybe keeping those core changes for a later release . . I dunno. I'm not really involved in the arguments. I hadn't even read the thread when I initially replied, I just read the first post of both and said I liked them :)

I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to this feature but perhaps one of the versions of the RM will start to cater for people providing graphics.
I suppose that depends on how many licence holders sites provide graphics - most of them are admin-niche of which there are too many anyway all posting the same crap. I would prefer seeing niche sites like yours, focusing on specific aspects and can fully understand your need for the RM to have certain aspects, but should the devs focus on these small-quantity niche-site needs over the general needs of most users? As I said, i'm on the fence, I can see both sides of the argument.

I'm waffling....

First and foremost, if you like the suggestion that a person has made, like the post. If you have further tweaks to the suggestion, please post them but still like the post.

Suggestions can be sorted by the number of likes the first message has received by using the "thread display options" tab at the bottom of thread list. The number of likes that the first message of a thread has received is "shown" on the thread list by hovering the replies/views cell.

Threads with a large number of likes will bubble up to the top and give us things to focus on. However, please keep in mind that a highly-liked suggestion is not guaranteed to be implemented. There may be technical reasons to not do it or it may not fit in with the goals for the product. We will give our thoughts on as many suggestions as possible.

Trouble with this is people are to bone idle to like posts it seems down in the resource suggestion area. Posts are split from there, moved so the like count becomes irrelevant at times.

I know you didn't make this thread :)

I don't, but I'm happy to wait and see.

Really, I neither agree or disagree. I'm on the fence on this one. I like the two current HYS's for what they are - information on what's coming. Will the changes be of use to me? Not that I know of - the only site I run currently doesn't have the RM installed (although I do have a licence for it on that particular install). I don't know the thought processes behind the devs, but I would take a guess and say they're making changes that won't change too much of the core - maybe keeping those core changes for a later release . . I dunno. I'm not really involved in the arguments. I hadn't even read the thread when I initially replied, I just read the first post of both and said I liked them :)

I suppose that depends on how many licence holders sites provide graphics - most of them are admin-niche of which there are too many anyway all posting the same crap. I would prefer seeing niche sites like yours, focusing on specific aspects and can fully understand your need for the RM to have certain aspects, but should the devs focus on these small-quantity niche-site needs over the general needs of most users? As I said, i'm on the fence, I can see both sides of the argument.

I'm waffling....

Show me an admin forum that doesn't provide graphics as resources. I know what your saying however so no need to show me since 99% of them provide graphics as a resource but even more of a reason for devs to start wading in amongst the lower like count suggestions. Another criteria perhaps is look at the add-ons to control the RM add-on that people are using to eliminate the need of that since if the feature they are using as an add-on (permission based) then surely this must be a good candidate for more permissions to be added into the RM.

Graphics as a resource is not a specialized niche - you once provided graphics at your site before and have done again with xenadmins. Graphic resources I will disagree with yon on is not a small and/or specialized niche. Perhaps I misinterpreted what you meant but feel free to correct me if I misunderstood what you meant.

Graphics as a resource is not a specialized niche - you once provided graphics at your site before and have done again with xenadmins. Graphic resources I will disagree with yon on is not a small and/or specialized niche. Perhaps I misinterpreted what you meant but feel free to correct me if I misunderstood what you meant.
In the grand scheme of forums, it is only a small percentage of sites that supply graphic resources - most of them are admin-niche based, both of the sites of mine you refer too were focusing on resources and forum discussions.

Run a search for forums outside of the admin niche and you'll find 90% of them don't offer graphic resources.... and if you run a search for forums, you'll again find around 90% of them aren't admin forums (thank the gods).

Likes aren't the only factor. If they were you would have a point. If only one person wants a feature that takes 10 seconds to implement, and 100 people want a feature that is going to take 1,000 hours of programming, chances are the one like feature is going to be added first. Time and difficulty probably factor in just as much, possibly more, than the likes a suggestion receives.

I very much doubt the icon feature took 10 seconds to develop. If the reason (based on my original question) was a time factor then I would leave it at that but @Mike has not mentioned that time s a factor so we have to come to the assumption that slightly larger (more time consuming features) aren't a reason not to include them. If it is, I'd have asked to move the initial post i made.

Again, if this is the argument and reason put forth that would most likely explain why Arny's smiley suggestion has sat idle for near on 2 years with a high number of likes. (btw this isn't a complaint, I appreciate the work done to the smiley manager so far)

In the grand scheme of forums, it is only a small percentage of sites that supply graphic resources - most of them are admin-niche based, both of the sites of mine you refer too were focusing on resources and forum discussions.

Run a search for forums outside of the admin niche and you'll find 90% of them don't offer graphic resources.... and if you run a search for forums, you'll again find around 90% of them aren't admin forums (thank the gods).

You'll find that a fair few of them do. They are more likely to provide graphics than say add-ons because even general chat forums provide graphics that I noticed when I critiqued quite a few forums here at xenforo. Searches on google I wouldn't consider valid since it's either xenforo links and links to warez sites that come up.

You'll find that a fair few of them do. They are more likely to provide graphics than say add-ons because even general chat forums provide graphics that I noticed when I critiqued quite a few forums here at xenforo. Searches on google I wouldn't consider valid since it's either xenforo links and links to warez sites that come up.
That's because, XenForo, at the moment, seems to attract a particular kind of site (again - mostly admin/webmaster related) - maybe these changes are to entice other niches to convert.

Thing is - I'm happy either way. I have no horse in this race. I'm just offering up potential reasons for those two particular changes being added and shown now.

Also, I don't see how the two changes stop people from providing graphic resources.

That's because, XenForo, at the moment, seems to attract a particular kind of site (again - mostly admin/webmaster related) - maybe these changes are to entice other niches to convert.

Thing is - I'm happy either way. I have no horse in this race. I'm just offering up potential reasons for those two particular changes being added and shown now.

I asked for this thread to be deleted to avoid this but the staff didn't and I was also happy to just wait and see but since this thread was forced upon my account by a staff member I have to come in and defend myself. Sure it was a critcal comment, but it's something I asked.

Eitherway I'm still happy with xenforo so it's still all good.

I very much doubt the icon feature took 10 seconds to develop. If the reason (based on my original question) was a time factor then I would leave it at that but @Mike has not mentioned that time s a factor so we have to come to the assumption that slightly larger (more time consuming features) aren't a reason not to include them. If it is, I'd have asked to move the initial post i made.

10 seconds is obviously an exaggeration. The reasoning still stands. Mike isn't going to say "that feature is going to take too long" that just sounds lazy. I'm sure their goal is to include every suggestion that they haven't marked "no thanks". It takes time though and they have to prioritize.

Without having to make an additional add on and just building it into the core, this icon thing probably took a half hour. To them, that's probably worth pleasing the amount of people that are happy with it.

I'm sure you haven't seen all the features being added to the resource manager. They tend to release info in stages and this was just one video. I get you want bigger features first but you should be happy with the active development and look at the bright side. 5 likes got a feature added, how many softwares cater to such a small group?

10 seconds is obviously an exaggeration. The reasoning still stands. Mike isn't going to say "that feature is going to take too long" that just sounds lazy. I'm sure their goal is to include every suggestion that they haven't marked "no thanks". It takes time though and they have to prioritize.

Without having to make an additional add on and just building it into the core, this icon thing probably took a half hour. To them, that's probably worth pleasing the amount of people that are happy with it.

I'm sure you haven't seen all the features being added to the resource manager. They tend to release info in stages and this was just one video. I get you want bigger features first but you should be happy with the active development and look at the bright side. 5 likes got a feature added, how many softwares cater to such a small group?

Yeah, 10 seconds was greatly exaggerated. If Mike developed it then it would have been significantly less than 10 seconds. I didn't read the rest of your post (not being funny) since I've said what I wanted to say.

Yeah, 10 seconds was greatly exaggerated. If Mike developed it then it would have been significantly less than 10 seconds. I didn't read the rest of your post (not being funny) since I've said what I wanted to say.
It was an obvious exaggeration to get a point across. I'm not trying to argue with you or attack your criticism. Just trying to say them adding small things that look nice shouldn't piss people off over bigger things being added. Especially since we don't even know everything being added. I'll stop responding though since it seems you're just pissed off and don't care to listen to reason.

I asked for this thread to be deleted to avoid this but the staff didn't and I was also happy to just wait and see but since this thread was forced upon my account by a staff member I have to come in and defend myself. Sure it was a critcal comment, but it's something I asked.

You don't need to defend yourself against me, I just like playing devil's advocate - you know that.

Eitherway I'm still happy with xenforo so it's still all good.
Agree totally.
Yeah, 10 seconds was greatly exaggerated.
It'd be pretty cool, though, don't you think . . if 10 seconds was all it took - we'd get so many new features we'd be complaining that they're inundating us too fast :D

It was an obvious exaggeration to get a point across. I'm not trying to argue with you or attack your criticism. Just trying to say them adding small things that look nice shouldn't piss people off over bigger things being added. Especially since we don't even know everything being added. I'll stop responding though since it seems you're just pissed off and don't care to listen to reason.

I'm not pissed off Daniel. Not sure how you come to that conclusion since I mentioned that I said what I wanted to say and I know you weren't attacking my critism but to leave the conversation without people assuming things (like assuming I'm pissed off). Not likely, I'm overall very happy with xenforo but just posted a critcal post, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not pissed off Daniel. Not sure how you come to that conclusion since I mentioned that I said what I wanted to say and I know you weren't attacking my critism but to leave the conversation without people assuming things (like assuming I'm pissed off). Not likely, I'm overall very happy with xenforo but just posted a critcal post, nothing more, nothing less.
Alright, sorry for that assumption, just came across that way when you basically said you were going to ignore the rest of my post after the very first sentence.

Alright, sorry for that assumption, just came across that way when you basically said you were going to ignore the rest of my post after the very first sentence.

I'm just trying to ignore the whole thread in general but when I'm quoted I'll tend to respond.
You don't need to defend yourself against me, I just like playing devil's advocate - you know that.

Agree totally.

It'd be pretty cool, though, don't you think . . if 10 seconds was all it took - we'd get so many new features we'd be complaining that they're inundating us too fast :D

I bloody know. :D

;)

(yes I quoted you . . .just because . . . )

So anyway.. where's my pigeons? *runs*

I've only started going back to PS after a 2 month break from it. :D I'll release those today since they've been a PIA to get the last 6 designs done. Just need to slice them, create the sprite and they should be posted tonight/tomorrow latest.

Top Bottom