• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Request: Text Size Changer

Jamie

I have some older members and in vB and IPB I have had to create their own skin and go through all the fonts to increase them in size.

I was wondering if it's possible under xF to have an Add on created that will give the member a text size changer?

I have found this site that has a bit of code and a demo page to show you what I am looking for. It doesn't have to be like this example, this is just to show you what I am talking about.

http://trevordavis.net/blog/simple-jquery-text-resizer/

I understand not everyone would need or want this, this is why I am not asking for it in the core under the xF suggestions, but a mod or a walk through How to would be great!

Thanks!
Jamie

For whatever it's worth Jamie, meanwhile - they can ignore the specified text size if they're using IE by going to Tools/Internet Options/Accesibility/ and check off "ignore font sizes specified on web pages." And then set the text size to whatever they want with View/Text Size.

This is also where you can ignore page colors - I use that one a lot on websites with dark colors.

Hum... interesting. I don't use IE so I didn't know that was an option. I will have to look into that... but I do have a few members that are old and hard to learn... try to show them how to do something and it's like pulling teeth!

I will look over the option you just mentioned though. Thanks!

Jamie

... but I do have a few members that are old and hard to learn...

I know what you mean, but it's really just a matter of clicking on things in the right order and checking a box - there's nothing to learn if they just copy the instructions and put them on a post-it note or something. It could come in handy for them in general. Click....
  1. Tools
  2. Internet Options
  3. Accessibility
  4. Ignore font sizes specified on web pages. (Check off the box, save changes.)

Option is available in Firefox as well though I don't remember where... If anything they could zoom in.. Nothing simpler than Ctrl + or Ctrl + scroll up.

While I appreciate the suggestions and will let my members know about them, I still want a mod to add this to my site. This is something that is needed for me and my members and it's something that has to have some value since they are a great many popular, large sites all across the web that have it.

I am thinking there may be guest users, or others than haven't mentioned it to me that either leave the site without joining or if they are a member they posting is limited because of their vision.

The listed suggestions above will help any member that mentions they are having a problem, but I am attempt to help them AND anyone else that might be having a problem that hasn't said anything.

Thanks,
Jamie

Sorry Jamie - I wasn't trying to"nay" your suggestion at all, I just thought it was something that might be handy for them to know in the meantime.

Sorry Jamie - I wasn't trying to"nay" your suggestion at all, I just thought it was something that might be handy for them to know in the meantime.

Oh, I am sorry if my response came off that way, it wasn't meant to be. I do thank you for the suggestion and did forward the steps to that member, but I have a lot of older users and we all know some of them mention things that bother than, others just use the site less without ever telling the admin anything..

Again, I didn't mean to push away ideas, it's just a mod that I will need to help my community. :)

Jamie

Top Bottom