1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Report Center

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Sir nick, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Sir nick

Sir nick Well-Known Member

Hello guys,

This is one of the biggest things i'd like to see how you guys did. As i love the IP.Board way because it shows them as a thread but not posted and is easy to go through. Can we get pictures/video of the report center (with examples).

Thanks,

2. Jonathan

Jonathan Active Member

I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more about the back end of things soon. :)

3. Sir nick

I hope so :)

4. ragtek

ragtek Guest

+1 vote
    the ipb report center is great

5. Sir nick

Yea thats why i would like to see what they have for one.

6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

There is a "moderator tool bar" that is at the top of the page, that contains links to manage the moderation queue and all reported contents. Reports have states (open, assigned, resolved, rejected). I don't know the specifics of IPB's report center, but it sounds similar. :)

captainslater likes this.
  7. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Amongst others, I have been suggesting this to vBulletin for years. vBulletin still does not provide statuses on reports, but Invision does (let me tell you, in the past years I always felt they browsed the vBulletin Suggestions forum and implemented the good stuff vBulletin customers came up with themselves, but that's an assumption), so I am very glad to see XenForo has this aswell now!

8. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

9. ragtek

ragtek Guest

Sadly True!

10. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

When I was a senior moderator for a pretty large forum, we had thousands of reports per day. Unfortunately, the report implementation was very much limited, and quite frankly, primitive. This wasn't alleviated by placing the reports into a staff forum. What would have helped was a system where the staff could see how many reports had been dealt with, acted on, and who did what, but additionally, which members reported posts the most, etc.These statistics would have been very useful in that the forum administrators could deduce further staff moderator appointments. I did end up coding a very custom report center for vBulletin, but I never released this to the public, and my license was exclusive to that forum.

Alfa1 likes this.
  11. ragtek

ragtek Guest

In the communities i managed and "we" switched to IPB 3 the mods loved the "report center"
    It made there life much easier:)

12. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Is the report system designed to deal with a large number of reports and reports of all content types?
    A system quickly becomes confusing when you have thousands of reports relating to different forum areas, different content types, different situations, applications and urgencies.
    Reports lead to moderator actions, edits, deletions, infractions, bans, etc.

Here is my writeup of how reports and infractions becomes a very serious problem to large vbulletin boards, if workflow and proper tools are missing:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...ools-and-why-this-can-force-admins-to-give-up
    I hope that some of these suggestions will be implemented in XenForo.

13. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

I have been requesting More management-capabilities for our private 'Thread Discussions' (staf zone) for more then 6 (!!!) years now overthere at vBulletin. See:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...or-our-private-Thread-Discussions-(staf-zone).

I was pleased and upset that Invision was the one who stepped in and introduced a little bit of that functionality in their product. Managing a big board becomes tedious when there are no proper, sophisticated tools to manage all the threads/moderation/infractions etc easily. Just as vrtsolus and Alfa1 are pointing out so rightfully. Hopefully we will see something along the lines in a future xenForo version. Then I am definately sold, if I wasn't already! :)

Alfa1 and Boothby like this.
  14. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

Sorry, I think the IPB way of handling reports stinks to high heaven. It's STILL treated as a modification and isn't fully integrated into the forum software. You cannot add additional groups to view the reports (unless you modify the core files), the failure of allowing replies to show up in View New Content is irritating to say the least, and treating it as a separate entity from the forum is just plain idiotic. It's a nice idea that was horribly implemented.

15. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

At least it's better than having the current vBulletin implementation.

16. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

In some respects, yes, it is better. Barely. While the tools provided are nice for those that use it, the drawbacks far outweigh the positive aspects of the system.

17. Floris

Floris Guest

What you need is simplicity visually, to deal with the complexity under the hood. And going through many steps, many options, etc, while a single action can take care of most .. speaks for itself.

18. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Maybe some graphs to deal with some stats?

19. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

//OT: i'm wondering about Nick and Mikey ... are they bros? :p

for the rest: i absolutely need to see the modcp, so i can speak out about it.

20. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There is no ModCP. Peggy confirmed that shortly after she acquired the XenMod title. All the moderation features are neatly tucked away when and where needed on the front end.