XF 2.1 Replicate the Alerts icon + dropdown?

creativeforge

I made our top menu sticky, but now the Alerts icon (bell) cannot be seen when you scroll down.

How could I replicate the Alerts function from the "focus user" section's Alerts, to the sectionLinks navbar? I'm aware I will have two (2) Alerts notifications icons with the red bubble showing the number of notifications.

alerts4.webp

It would be possible to remove the one located in the focus-wrap-users section, but people got used to see it there. But could I display: none when the sticky menu is enabled when we scroll down?

Thanks!

Andre

I added ALERTS successfully to the sectionLinks bar. Why is it ONLY a link? What else do I need to copy there to make it behave just like on the top?

Has this really never been asked by anyone before? I've tried a whole lot of things but none of them worked. So I'm not asking for a handout, esti. Just an answer that points me to the solution.

If it is a Xenforo limitation, then end my agony and let me know, please?

Thank you.

OK, by this time I'm well aware that this question is probably addressed to Xenforo technical staff and developers, rather than the community at large.

Is it POSSIBLE to DUPLICATE the whole ALERTS function in a template? If so, HOW?

The developers for the template I use responded that they did not know how to do this.

I've explored and tried a lot of options (I usually do), but it seems that there is something very particular going on with this, or that nobody else on the planet has ever thought of doing this. Which would really surprise me.

Thank you in advance for ANY help!

Solved? How. You asked for help and when you found the solution you didn't wanted to share with anyone. This is really selfish.
A normal function in the current XF environ... folks want to respond "I fixed it" but don't choose to go into detail on how they actually fixed it.
It is simply a current "disease" that is present with many XF license holders... and yes, I fully admit that I am one of them... I choose at a base level to no longer to provide extensive XenForo support at more than the base extension/customization/core responses due to the current level of XF developer interaction/concern (or actually lack there-of) of the core license holder. They make money off their license "upgrades" so they can simply support their license holders requests via tickets instead of in a forum post since many responses/answers are ultimately non-responsive.

Last edited:
OMG stop the drama!!!

Check the date of my post. I was in the thick of upgrading the forum on my own using a new theme, and I HAD A HELL OF A TIME even keeping track of things before having to dive again in customization.

But thanks for asking so nicely. Answer: I did not find any Xenforo fix. I had to edit the theme I use via Xenforo templates. That's probably why it wasn't relevant to post my "solution" here. Too complicated, and not a copy/paste solution.

But I just looked and this is what I find in my EXTRA.LESS template.

Code:
// Moves Alerts icon to the left of search
.p-nav-inner .p-navgroup-link {
      margin-left: auto;
}

// However, remove duplicate of alerts icon on mobile
@media (max-width: 600px) {
    #js-XFUniqueId11 {
    display:none;      
    }
}

// However, remove duplicate of alerts icon on desktop
    #js-XFUniqueId2 {
    display:none;
    }

So obviously you have to find out what to use to replace #js-XFUniqueId11" etc from your own theme you use. However it's not perfect, as for a second both alert bells show up. But I hope it gives you some direction to explore at least.

Regards,

Andre

Where exactly is the "drama"? You said it was "fixed" but chose not to detail how/why.

Simply saying

gives other users NO ability to discern how it was resolved. This may impact others.. and a lack of clarity on the resolution of the issue does them no good.

Have you noticed any response from anyone to my request for help? Take a look.

It took me over 12 days, with not even one reply on the forum, to finally get to a solution, imperfect as it is. My solution itself will not really be helpful, it only gives a general direction. But you have to hack the template. Not a Xenforo issue. I would have given the solution here if it had been one. So I used the theme's forum.

Calling me selfish for that (not you)? Come on. A misunderstanding.

I understand the frustration, though.

Regards,

Andre

That's not that unusual currently. Seems less and less admins are willing to help... it's a disease that is slowly spreading. Luckily eveyr now and then the XF developers deign to intervene and respond (usually helpfully) in a thread.

Calling me selfish for that (not you)? Come on. A misunderstanding.
I'm not calling you selfish... the simple fact is.. you said it was "fixed" after requesting help but did not detail how... which would be of benefit to others that may be impacted by the issue.
I can't count the number of times I've posted for help here and never got a response.. but figured out the issue myself. I tend to post the resolution in the thread that I created in case others are impacted by it.

Can't help that.. it involves other admins that either have no knowledge of the issue or no desire to help. If XF developers happen upon the issue may respond but then again.. they may choose not to,

I can't count the number of times I've posted for help here and never got a response
And seems to be a more recurring problem than from a few years ago.... now what actually involves that issue (of no/limited responses... I can't say. Personally... I'm burnt out on helping after over a decade of doing it and being treated as a rug.

I tend to post the resolution in the thread that I created in case others are impacted by it.

And this is all anyone can ultimately ask... if you post a problem and figure it out before anyone else steps in to help... post the resolution instead of saying something like "fixed".

Top Bottom