1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 How do I prevent the Alerts flag from disappearing when I don't have a chance to read them all?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by HydraulicJack, Oct 13, 2012.

1. HydraulicJack

HydraulicJack Well-Known Member

There are a LOT of threads that I want to track, so it's not unusual for me to have 20-100 Alerts in my list when I see the red balloon over the Alerts link in the upper right corner, to the right of the Inbox.

But as soon as I click that Alerts link, even if I DON'T get a chance to read them all, I lose all of the flags to the unread posts. This is extremely frustrating!

How do I configure the settings so that I don't lose that entire list? That is, configure so that the red Alert balloon stays on my Alerts list link and the red balloon reflects the number of remaining alerts either not read or not intentionally dismissed?

This is one design issue that has frustrated me from the very beginning of using otherwise excellent forum software.

Darkimmortal likes this.
  2. MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that you can. But there is of course the "Show All" link that will show all recent alerts.

J.

Jake Bunce likes this.
  3. HydraulicJack

Thanks MJC, I was afraid of that.
    Unfortunately I don't see a way to extend the meaning of "recent".
    When I travel then come back to my forum I know a number of Alerts have slipped off the radar that I may have wanted to respond to!

I'll post a feature request to that effect.

4. MsJacquiiC

No prob and I agree - the functionality you request would certainly be a nice addition to even the out-of-box xenforo featureset!

5. HydraulicJack

Thanks VERY much for the plus one on that feature request, Jacquii!

6. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> User Alerts -> Hours to Retain Viewed Alerts in Popup

HydraulicJack and MsJacquiiC like this.
  7. HydraulicJack

Why am I not surprised that Grandmaster Jake had the answer, and quickly...

Many thanks as always!

8. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

Hours to Retain Viewed Alerts in Popup The alert popup will show all unviewed alerts, plus any viewed alerts that were viewed within the time frame (in hours) before now. Note that the total amount shown in this popup is limited to no more than 25.

9. MsJacquiiC

I noticed this too and think it'd be nice to have more than 25 hours as an option.