1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Positioning the Alerts & Conversations Menus

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by robart, Jun 19, 2015.

1. robart

robart Member

Hi all,

So I am doing something very similar to this thread

I have the CSS:
    Code:
    #ConversationsMenu, #AlertsMenu {
        margin-left: -263px;
        margin-top: -42px;
    }

and it works perfect when I am viewing the page with the browser width the size of my screen, and no browser zoom

However, if I make the size of my browser smaller, or browser zoom (Command +), the Alerts and Conversation menu no longer appear.

They are actually far left off-screen, because for some reason the two menus have a "left:0" position set by XF. If I disable the margin-left however, they display properly.

I've experimented with different negative values of margin-left, and when it reaches a certain negative number, anything beyond that causes XF to set the "left: 0px" property for the menus.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on this? I am working on a custom Style, but I was also able to replicate this in the Default style.

Thanks so much!

2. robart

robart Member

My apologies, this should be in the "Styling and Customization Questions" forum.

3. robart

robart Member

Wondering if this could be a bug in the way the XF javascript calculates 'top' and 'left' positions of the dropdown?

4. Adam K M

Adam K M Active Member

If you refresh the page while your browser is smaller, does this still happen?

I'm not really much of a fan of Javascript so I can't really help, but if you deem it unlikely to fix this error, it might be worth investigating creating your own account control popups - ones independent of whatever Javascript is causing your problems.