1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Dismal Shadow, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Dismal Shadow

Dismal Shadow Active Member

Ok this might sound stupid. When you purchase the license of the software, the license for use is unlimited as well as support and upgrades for one year. So when if expires you can still use the software but in order to receive support and upgrades you need to pay the renewal fee. Am I correct?
  2. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Exactly what the license entails hasn't been mentioned yet.
  3. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

As no price or licence details have been released yet there is no way to answer this.
  4. Dismal Shadow

Yeah I know the details hadn't been given yet, I only ask because I never knew what renewal means. :p
  5. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

So you're asking what the term renewal means and how this applies to software licenses (not specifically XF which no announcement has been made yet)?

Hate to break it to you, but software vendors handle license terms differently and the meaning of the word renewal is going to be different depending on who you're buying from.
  6. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Renewal usually extends support, or software updates for a period of time. Some companies have that separate, some have it together, and some even have no renewal and give support and updates for life.
  7. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

That's frequently the way it works, but not always. How licensing works is entirely determined by the specifics of the license agreement, which as everyone said, we haven't seen yet.

I think it's reasonable to assume it will likely be similar to other products in this field, but they could do all sorts of different things. Only time , and Kier/Mike/Ashley, will tell :)
  8. welshstew

welshstew Active Member

It means you have to pay to get more of whatever you are paying for - how often depends on the licence agreement, which could be based on any number of things.
  9. Dismal Shadow

Thanks guys. I assumed most renewal license by the softwares is needed for support and upgrades.
    I guess we will all wait and see what licence agreement will be given upon release. :)