Not planned Rename Reply to Quote in posts

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
I would suggest changing the term "Reply" to "Quote" to start with. From a usability point of view, I can see people who have never used the system before being confused between the two different terms "Reply" and "Multi-Quote".

It should either be: "Reply" and "Multi-Reply". Or "Quote" and "Multi-Quote".

Upvote 53
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I Multi Quote frequently but never multiquote entire posts.. I think something along the lines of the QuoteMe plugin introduced to the core would be more UI friendly and useful..

The distinction between Quote and Reply should not be changed, whatever the team decided in this new 1.3 revision was spot on! Keep it.

Multi-Quote doesn't suit xenForo since the + sign pretty much is "self-explainatory."

Yes, + Quote and Quote will be better. I use this combination for the German language packs since the beginning because in Germany it is better to be exact and for us reply with quote is quote ;)

Until now we have problems with all addons who use the original reply phrase, for example the Ressource Manager

I absolutely hate when people overuse the quote feature, and the main reason for them overusing it is because the link in the postbit is incorrectly called "Reply" instead of "Quote," which is what it really is. "Reply" is what's at the bottom of the thread view--it replies without quoting. The other thing should be called "Quote." I have long renamed it manually in my templates and honestly can't see how it hasn't been addressed yet in the core package.

I absolutely hate when people overuse the quote feature, and the main reason for them overusing it is because the link in the postbit is incorrectly called "Reply" instead of "Quote," which is what it really is. "Reply" is what's at the bottom of the thread view--it replies without quoting. The other thing should be called "Quote." I have long renamed it manually in my templates and honestly can't see how it hasn't been addressed yet in the core package.

It's not necessarily incorrect, though. There's a Reply link on every post, which means you can reply to a specific user's posts.

@Maru It's replying with quoting, which is the same as quoting. Replying without quoting can already be done by simply beginning to type in the reply box.

By the way, you just used the reply button incorrectly yourself. There is no reason to quote a post that's directly above yours. This serves as further proof that people have no idea what the difference between replying and quoting is.

On our image heavy site we had masses of screen real estate wasted by folk quoting entire posts of pictures & text - sometimes for a one wrd reply or smilie. We eventually disabled auto quoting & folk had to manually code the quote.

We are going to permit it on XF as the options are more versatile but the Repy button creating a quote is going to be disabled or trimmed using AndyB's addon:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/trim-reply-quote.4281/

@Maru It's replying with quoting, which is the same as quoting. Replying without quoting can already be done by simply beginning to type in the reply box.

By the way, you just used the reply button incorrectly yourself. There is no reason to quote a post that's directly above yours. This serves as further proof that people have no idea what the difference between replying and quoting is.

Replying and quoting are essentially the same thing. I'm quoting you now, but I'm also replying to you.

Having a Reply link next to every post pretty much means, "Okay, I want to reply to this person." It makes perfect sense, then, to quote them.

@Maru Proper forum etiquette is that you only quote when it's necessary to make your point. A forum thread is not personal correspondence between members. It's a piece of content that's consumed by lots of other people, including visitors coming to your forum from search. Littering threads with unnecessary quoted text reduces readability and is bad for SEO.

If you want to reply to the thread generally (which should be the majority of cases), you go to the bottom of the page and use the reply box to compose your reply. If you want to address a specific point someone has made, then it's OK to quote someone, as long as you are reasonable in the amount of quoting that you do. The problem is that people see a link named "Reply" under every post and think that the only way for them to reply to the thread is by using that link, which quotes the user, whether then intend to do it or not.

Last edited:
Littering threads with unnecessary quoted text reduces readability and is bad for SEO.

I can't speak for SEO, but I fail to comprehend how it reduces readability.

If you want to reply to the thread generally (which is the majority of cases), you go to the bottom of the page and use the reply box to compose your reply.

Right.

If you want to address a specific point someone has made, then it's OK to quote someone, as long as you are reasonable in the amount of quoting that you do.

That's really what I do. And when I quote entire post it's because I'm replying to the whole thing.

That's you though Maru - I'm guessing an experienced & responsible user. Some people aren't aware how or are too lazy to edit out unnecesary parts of a quote & in a lot of cases didn't actually want to quote when they hit reply. With the +quote & highlight text to quote do we really need 'reply' to render a quote as well? With small screens for viewing growing in proportion the less screen real-estate wasted with unnecessary quotes the better.

The reply function should just insert a usertag, instead of a quote or only forward the user to the reply box. Thats what people expect as this is how it works on all the mainstream sites.

I have a whole lot of users that always click "reply" and therefore quote the whole thread starter's text at the end of the thread.
Best thing would be that "reply" just does nothing but sending the user to the quick reply editor. It is better for the user to "learn how to quote" than to "learn how not to quote"...

The reply function should just insert a usertag, instead of a quote or only forward the user to the reply box. Thats what people expect as this is how it works on all the mainstream sites.

That would also work. As long as you're not encouraging them to quote the last post.

Top Bottom