Not planned Rename Reply to Quote in posts

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
I would suggest changing the term "Reply" to "Quote" to start with. From a usability point of view, I can see people who have never used the system before being confused between the two different terms "Reply" and "Multi-Quote".

It should either be: "Reply" and "Multi-Reply". Or "Quote" and "Multi-Quote".

Upvote 53
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Now that Multi-Quote is available, it seems a little inconsistent that one link is named "Reply" when in fact it is actually quoting the content of the post.

Reply requires nothing more than just clicking in the editor and typing.

Personally I have already made this change on my own site so it's no big deal to have an edited phrase but as it stands I feel there is some inconsistency in the naming and behaviour of these two functions.

Well, I have seen that my users are very much inspired with facebook's Like . Comment . Share

So I'd like to have it like this:

Like . Comment . Quote . Multi-Quote

The "Comment" button will direct users to the Quick Reply box (without quoting message). :)

Last edited:
That's way too long, especially on mobile devices which have narrow screens.

It really needs to be just a single word, which is consistent with all of the other named links.

I like this idea. Would make a lot of sense.

I did come up with an idea recently involving the replay button though. I thought that the current one could be renamed to quote, and a new reply button(labeled reply) could be added, and when clicked, this would also embed posts replied to or quoted in the post you are replying to/quoting. Not the best idea, just something I thought I'd throw in.

I think the word Reply is still very appropriate IMHO because you are indeed replying to that post. The fact that it will also quote the post you are replying is extremely important in a conversation. Once you click the Reply link the first time, you immediately understand the power and great functionality of a forum and understand the difference between Reply and just typing in a new message using the Quick Reply.

There is no need to quote the preceding post.

When you speak to people do you often repeat what they say before speaking?

Quoting is severely over-used.
The first thing I did was name Reply to Quote when I installed XenForo 1.0.0 Beta 1.

There is no need to quote the preceding post.

You and I know that, but I think many users of forums don't know that.

At any rate I think the word Reply in the post area is pretty clear you are replying to that post and it's natural that the post be quoted.

It seems worse now that MQ has been renamed to +Quote.

I agree.

It's too bad that the interface is now cluttered for a feature that will be seldom used. In 12 years of using forums I haven't once done a multi-quote. I prefer to reply to posts individually.

It would be too much of a generalisation to suggest that the feature will be seldom used here. I've used it quite a bit and found it quite convenient.

But for your own board, at least, you can switch it off. So at least we won't be seeing this guy!
2813.jpg

Top Bottom