Remove the prefixes in Add-on Releases section

Chimpie

On many thread titles in the Add-on Releases section there are prefixes that have nothing to do with the add-on itself. For example, before every add-on that Jaxel has created he has his website as part of the add-on title. Why? It has nothing to do with the add-on. Farjad also does it with his, [XenFarjad], as does xfrocks with [bd]. In my personal opinion it serves very little purpose and is majorly distracting.

I think these prefixes should be removed.

As a separate recommendation, I'd like to see prefixes for what latest version of XF these have been tested for. So for example: [1.0.4] XenPorta

Thanks for reading.

The prefixes are part of the name of the add-on and are very useful in building up the reputation of that add-on.

If I see an 8WR or [bd] add-on, it's far more likely I'll check it out than a random one with no tag.

Good idea. It is somewhat distracting.

That being said ... the addons are free ... and there is some vague benefit to them as a vague form of advertising and branding. So I think it should be up to the addon maker.

Versions will will be a part of the Resource Manager. And Version prefixes is a good idea ... but that might be hard to role out in the Resource Manager.

I forgot how much I liked your "Virtual" wordpress and xenforo style integration.
With the banner image lining up between the two, the fonts be a good match, the Forum Tab being in the almost same location in both .... It seems if you made xenforo a bit more white ... it would be even better.

Would it be too much to ask for you to document (for others) how you did it (in another thread ...) ?
:)

Yeah, maybe I'll tweak it one day. I don't blog. I tried it several times. Just couldn't get into it. I can write about other things, just not myself.

I thought about ditching WP and developing XF with static pages about me. Who knows. I have 10 other irons burning right now that need my attention more. :P

I would argue that it's not vague at all. Branding is the term I was looking for (rather than reputation) and think it's very useful for both the developers and for the "customers".
I'm okay with the branding of the add-on page. Jaxel, for example, has his logo in his signature. That's cool. Does he need it in the title as well? Personally I don't think so.

? Think of them like this - they're consistant. The same prefix are applied everywhere - in your options, in the template name and various other places. Makes it very easy for you to look for them and make changes.

Beside, once you download a whole bunch of add ons, the prefix are in the zip file name too. Making them group up by themselves. Very easy to find what you want. Not to mention it's easy to search for them on this site using prefix.

Or I can go to Jaxel's profile page where he links to all his mods in his signature, for example.

And again, this could be all a moot point once the new system is in place.

Well more importantly is to find them on your own forum tho. As I said, same prefix in your options, in your add on list, and in your template names. The consistency helps you recognize them amidst hundreds other names and you know exactly they belong to each other.

There are a few add ons I use that don't have prefix and I tell you, the one with prefix are a ton easier to modify. Because they're much much easier to find.

Well more importantly is to find them on your own forum tho. As I said, same prefix in your options, in your add on list, and in your template names. The consistency helps you recognize them amidst hundreds other names and you know exactly they belong to each other.

There are a few add ons I use that don't have prefix and I tell you, the one with prefix are a ton easier to modify. Because they're much much easier to find.
You are aware this thread is asking for the removal of prefixes in the Add-on Releases section of xenforo.com, not the removal of prefixes in add-on templates and/or options?

Brand the thread itself. Use images. Bold text. Swirling lights. Funny clowns. Go for it.

Just don't put it in the thread title.

Brand the thread itself. Use images. Bold text. Swirling lights. Funny clowns. Go for it.

Just don't put it in the thread title.

Completely agreed - I hate it too. Surely the avatar next to the thread is adequate.

Consistency, fair enough, but it's only needed internally (e.g. all my addons are dark_ or /Dark/). Titles should be at least a little bit more subtle.

I think it's easier to search for all add-ons from a specific source. Just type the prefix in the search bar, and you get all the add-ons with it. If you want to look at it from going to the user's profile, that's a few extra clicks to do the same thing, but then you get results from all threads, not just add-ons.

Perhaps the Resource Manager will have a better way or handling this, but for now it's a pretty simple system but I don't necessarily see anything wrong with it.

I think it's easier to search for all add-ons from a specific source. Just type the prefix in the search bar, and you get all the add-ons with it. If you want to look at it from going to the user's profile, that's a few extra clicks to do the same thing, but then you get results from all threads, not just add-ons.

I think most if not all the coders put their add-ons in the signature. When I wanted to look up Jaxel's I just brought up his profile and then looked at his signature.

I agree with Onimua. It is easy to find all of their add-ons by using their prefix in a search and I suspect that is why they do it.

I believe one reason is because if you click on the title when viewing the release forum, they will be sorted by title, and if they all start with the same item such as [ABWD] then all of those will show up. Yes a search could be done, I realize that, but that is one way to browse all the releases by one author, then the next author, etc.

My hunch is things will change when the resource manager is available, as stated in the announcements forum.

Top Bottom