Remove redirects after forum reindexed?

Laurentius

Is it possible to remove the redirects after the forum has been reindexed on google? I moved the forum from the root to /forum and redirected everything in the .htaccess file. It seems like the whole forum has been reindexed now, can I remove the redirects and disallow the forum urls in robots.txt for the root?

Or should I leave it as it currently is? :)

Is it possible to remove the redirects after the forum has been reindexed on google? I moved the forum from the root to /forum and redirected everything in the .htaccess file. It seems like the whole forum has been reindexed now, can I remove the redirects and disallow the forum urls in robots.txt for the root?

Or should I leave it as it currently is? :)
Please post your question in the support forum. Support is only for valid customers.

http://xenforo.com/community/forums/xenforo-questions-and-support.25/

Thank you in advance for understanding :)

If you are a valid customer, but are unable to post there. Please add your forum user name to your account. http://xenforo.com/customers/forum-users

Thank you for letting me know that. I don't want to double post, a moderator can move it there if they like.
Since I have been a valid customer for about 1 year now I already know that...

I suggest leaving the redirects in place unless you have a reason to remove them. They might still be useful for old user-submitted links in posts and whatnot.

Ok, the reason why I asked is before I had vbulletin 4 in the root and then moved to Xenforo in the root. Now when I moved Xenforo to /forum and redirects members, I have some old /members from the vbulletin installation that are redirected to nothing.. So could I dissallow /members in the root and stop redirecting them to /forum/members? I don't think the members profiles have that much links leading to them.

You could update your redirects. If you are using these scripts:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/redirection-scripts-for-vbulletin-3-x.264/

...then you can edit the 301config.php file to specify the path to XenForo. That will account for the change of directory:

Rich (BB code):
<?php

/* ----------------------------------------------------------- *\
This variable defines where XenForo is installed.

If you have not installed XenForo into the same directory in which
vBulletin was installed, you will need to provide the full path to
the XenForo directory here. Remove the leading // and then enter
the path as in the following examples:

$fileDir = '/home/example/public_html/new_forums';

$fileDir = 'C:/inetpub/wwwroot/xenforo';

\* ----------------------------------------------------------- */

$fileDir = '/home/username/www/forums';

/* ----------------------------------------------------------- *\
This constant defines the table from which the import redirection
scripts will fetch their data. Normally they will use the table
'xf_import_log', but if you have archived your import data, you
should provide the name of the archive table here. Remove the
leading // and then replace 'import_log_x' with the name of your
archive table, as in the following examples:

define('IMPORT_LOG_TABLE', 'my_import_log');

define('IMPORT_LOG_TABLE', 'import_log_my_forums');

\* ----------------------------------------------------------- */

//	define('IMPORT_LOG_TABLE', 'import_log_x');

Ok, But is there a way to disallow them or something in robots.txt? If I continue to redirect the members that it's redirecting, but disallow /members in the root. Google will remove those urls right? Will I still get link juice for the links that redirect correctly to /forum/members ?

Ok, But is there a way to disallow them or something in robots.txt? If I continue to redirect the members that it's redirecting, but disallow /members in the root. Google will remove those urls right? Will I still get link juice for the links that redirect correctly to /forum/members ?

A robots.txt disallow would be all or nothing.

Ok, what would you do? I have noticed that Google wont index all my members from the sitemap. Probably since I am redirecting some of them to nothing. I am thinking of disallowing /members in the root ( I am not gaining any traffic from them anyway).

Top Bottom