remove /forums/ from url of forums

island

I have Use Full Friendly URLs checked.

Is there any easy/best way to remove /forums/ from the url of individual forums: e.g. instead of mydomain.com/forums/general-support instead have the shorter mydomain.com/general-support

In the admincp, you can enter the "URL Portion" so xenforo knows "enteredurl" = "the forum with some name 74" for example.
So why is the content type in the url necessary then?
The only thing I can see it would allow from my customer point of view would be to have a duplicate category, forum, and page "enteredurl" so you could have /pages/enteredurl or /forums/enteredurl but having to be an extra level deep (longer url) with the URL for all forums seems a heavy price to pay.
If "enteredurl" is already mapped to "forum with some name 74" can't xenforo simply remember/map the content type as well for those with assigned "URL Portions"

I guess I'll have to get used to the content type coming before the content in the urls if this is fundamental - I can see the organizational aspects - but I sure do miss the short urls for forum urls that I want to share and thought less levels deep was better for seo.

I suppose the semantics of having the content-type in the url itself isn't bad from a search engine's point of view, though it still bothers me to have the contentype seem prioritized over the actual content keywords in the url (vs. vbseo for example which keeps track of the content type in a more subtle way that is subordinate to the actual content keywords.)

You can technically install it in a directory of your preference, moving from one to another may required additional edits though.
The /forums/ in the url isn't actually the directory it's in - it's the content type of the page the url is for. So a forum page (thread listing page) currently has /forums/ in the url if xen is installed in the root directory.

I also want to get rid of the Forum-wording, both in the URL and the Tab.

I am running a Forum only, so there is no need in having 2 same Tabs "Home" and "Forum".
Also no need to have the word "forum" in the URL.

So I want to get rid of the word "forum" from ALL my website-URLs, not just a specific Forum.
Is there any way to do this easily ?

I also want to get rid of the Forum-wording, both in the URL and the Tab.

I am running a Forum only, so there is no need in having 2 same Tabs "Home" and "Forum".
Also no need to have the word "forum" in the URL.

So I want to get rid of the word "forum" from ALL my website-URLs, not just a specific Forum.
Is there any way to do this easily ?
I am interested in these two things as well.

definitely need to be able to easily customize those, /forums, /threads, /pages. Luckily the latest algorithms don't sink the valuable, later keyword part of the URL like they used to in the old days if they are pushed back by 'subdirectories.'
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I had to change probably 10 files, few manual changes to the database (no way via admincp), change references in the master style from forums/ to f/

I think there is an easier way but I would need a stylevar replacement system to make it happen

do we have any chance to easily get rid of the Forum-Tab in XF-Beta 3 ???

When running a Forum only (without a page at "Home") it does not look great to have both "Home" and "Forum" showing the same page.
This is kinda confusing for the user.

Thanks !

Top Bottom