Not a bug Remove Emoji from URL

Emoji are just textual characters so if they are used in a title they will appear as emoji in the URL.

It has no SEO impact.

yes, I found this issue too, I believe if you give the emoji a "text" that is not used in a links text it won't happen, it is annoying and have members complaining about it.

Emoji are just textual characters so if they are used in a title they will appear as emoji in the URL.

It has no SEO impact.
Because it is emoji so it is not identical on any devices or browsers, you can look at the address bar like IE or Safari, the URL is very long. I think emoji same with some special characters (? & @ ! $ # *....), it should be removed from link.

Those characters are removed from links because they are not valid for URLs.

Emoji characters are valid for URLs. Technically they would be encoded to this:
Code:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/reactions-%F0%9F%91%8D%F0%9F%98%8D%F0%9F%A4%A3%F0%9F%98%B2%F0%9F%99%81%F0%9F%98%A1.154898/
Which also demonstrates that, despite how they appear, they are in fact identical on every device; they have the same encoded value and the same underlying Unicode value and its just the device which renders them differently.

Clearly if we believed emojis in URLs was a problem, then we wouldn’t have used emojis in that thread title ;) (SEO is important to us too!)

Also worth noting that there is already an option that will strip emoji and ensure your URLs only contain basic characters (by removing accents) -- it's the romanize option.

Clearly if we believed emojis in URLs was a problem, then we wouldn’t have used emojis in that thread title ;) (SEO is important to us too!)

You can see different from Google Search results with and without emoji query for same thread 🤔

I don't know why Google removed a part of thread title (some emoji) on search results. And it's not happen with other thread without emoji on title :unsure:

Last edited:
Top Bottom