Remove automatic quote when replying to message

meursault

Hi all,

When replying to a message, it automatically quotes the entire post of the user you are replying to. IMO this is a really bad feature as you sometimes have posts in which the user quotes a really long post and just adds a couple of comments to it.

Is there a way (template change?) to make it so that when you click "Reply" to a post, it no longer automatically quotes the message you are replying to?

Thanks.

Like the normal editor box at the bottom of the forum topic? ;)
Reply implies the quotation. The user can edit out the extended text. I imagine you can submit a request for an add-on that will strip to only X amount of characters, but I do not believe by default you can do what you want.

Like Tracy said, just use the quick reply editor at the bottom of a page to make a post without quoting. The Reply link in each post is the same as Quote on other forums.

If you just want to quote part of a long post without editing, there's an addon for this - QuoteME

Came across similar issues on my disability forum. The quoted text fiasco led to too many quotes and a long thread. Users with screen readers et cetera had difficulty scrolling. To combat this I put together an addon that allows all the quote and reply features to be changed in numerous ways, including removing the quote, replacing it with a mention, or doing that including removing the original "quote/reply" action. Check it out, https://xenforo.com/community/resources/advanced-quote-reply-essentials.7707/

Top Bottom