Lack of interest Remote image upload

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
In 2020 there is really no reason to host attachments on server. It makes no sense for anyone that has a moderately or large sized forum. It makes backups difficult, migrations annoying and takes up tons of server space. Every website in the world is using a remote host. Can you please add an automatic remote hosting option that uses imgur.com for example(or other options)? It shouldn't take that much effort. Thanks!

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Thanks Brogan, but there is a file to download as an add-on to implement it, isn't it ?
But also, the download pop-up indicates XF 2.0 and XF 2.1, it is not compatible with 2.2 ?

Thanks but this isn't really what I was looking for. I don't want to host the attachments myself not even on S3 since it costs money. I want to host them on another source such as imgur. @Brogan why did you close this thread, this isn't a solution I was looking for.

A word from an oldie.

Back in the day everyone used Photobucket to upload images to posts. Those tutorials and threads are all broken today as Photobucket kicked the bucket. Imgur will too some day. So I recommend taking charge of your own future and host things with your own S3 bucket or whatever you pick. Imgur is not a good solution in my opinion. It's not a tool as much as a platform. Platforms tend to die.

Thanks but this isn't really what I was looking for. I don't want to host the attachments myself not even on S3 since it costs money. I want to host them on another source such as imgur. @Brogan why did you close this thread, this isn't a solution I was looking for.

A word from an oldie.

Back in the day everyone used Photobucket to upload images to posts. Those tutorials and threads are all broken today as Photobucket kicked the bucket. Imgur will too some day. So I recommend taking charge of your own future and host things with your own S3 bucket or whatever you pick. Imgur is not a good solution in my opinion. It's not a tool as much as a platform. Platforms tend to die.
it costs money though and is generally a hassle to deal with. s3 bucket could die before imgur does.

I host 25gb of attachments, my server backup tar.gz daily, and use cloudfront to cdn it all, all to the tune of $8 a month on s3.
in doing so, i was able to scale my server down to a much smaller/cheaper one, which actually saved me far more than $8 a month.

yes, it costs a few bucks, but i'd never trust a 3rd party service, especially a free one, to my community future.

I host 25gb of attachments, my server backup tar.gz daily, and use cloudfront to cdn it all, all to the tune of $8 a month on s3.
in doing so, i was able to scale my server down to a much smaller/cheaper one, which actually saved me far more than $8 a month.

yes, it costs a few bucks, but i'd never trust a 3rd party service, especially a free one, to my community future.
my server has accumulated over 90 gb of (compressed) attachments within 12 months so we are talking about a different type of scale here.

You are going to have to ask for custom development because what you are asking for is very specific and not something most others want or need.

the costs for me aren't scaled equally because of the transfer of the nightly backup. it's a vast majority of the cost. The storage is less than a buck a month for the attachments themselves.

You are going to have to ask for custom development because what you are asking for is very specific and not something most others want or need.
Uhh not really. There are tons of people who requested imgur upload. Nonsense! who does not want a remote image/video upload capability? Speak for yourself.

2K VIEWS!

Top Bottom