1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote Attachments storage

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Max, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Max

Max Active Member

Storing large amounts of attachments on the same server as the forum giving space and server load problems.

So it will be really nice if we can store attachments on Amazon S3 or separate server.

This will be really helpful for addons like Galleries, Resource manager etc.. too.

Sim, Valhalla, thedude and 9 others like this.
  2. inkognito23

inkognito23 New Member

i am going to switch my board (800k registred users, 4mio. posts) from vb3.8.x to another forum software (XF or IPB).

we have a huge amount of files, attachements on our server. the best way for speed improvements is to store attachements on other servers than the same server where the core forum software is running on.

i very liked to see the option.

IPB will come out with this feature with the 4.0 version.
    http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/394248-40-file-storage/

please mike & kier, take a look at IPBs external storage feature and develop a better one, so the xenforo community will love XF more and more...

best

RoldanLT likes this.
  3. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

4. inkognito23

inkognito23 New Member

yeah, but i liked to see that in the core. i dont like 3rd party coded stuff, because i dont know if its well coded...

also, the IPB core feature allows you to set individual preferrences for attachement types, e.g. avatars should stored in database, but jpg in external storage...

i also would love to see, if we can add cluster of external storage servers...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  5. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

How many files do you have?

6. inkognito23

inkognito23 New Member

too many, i guess 200k ... we have roughly 20-30TB traffic through files per month...

7. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have been more clear. How much space do they take?

8. inkognito23

inkognito23 New Member

close to 1TB disk space

9. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Maybe such a feature will be released in XF 1.3
    Stay tuned to here....

10. inkognito23

inkognito23 New Member

i would love to see this feature in XF1.3 core...

11. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

@xfrocks is one of the best 3rd party coders for XenForo around, and all his add-ons are very well coded.

I've only got a small site with 42,000 attachments, but using his add-on to serve them all via the CDN.

Axel B, RoldanLT and xfrocks like this.
  12. inkognito23

inkognito23 New Member

Hi MattW,

thanks for feedback. But like i said before, IPB going to implement this feature into the core system. And i would like to see this also in the XF core.

Also, options for CDN preferences in the core is a Must-Have, imo.

At the moment, on my vB3.8.x i host eg. static files like .js/.css/.jpg/.gifs etc. on my own CDN server (via varnish) without any need of 3rd party addons.

13. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

You can achieve that now without add-ons. XF has CDN support in core.

14. inkognito23

inkognito23 New Member

that should be somewhere in the config.file? i just have login for the demo.xenforo.com site atm. And in the admin-panel, i cant see any options to do that...

so i can give for .js and .css files like static1.domain.com, and for image files like img.domain.com ? Can i use different CDN domain for different file types?

15. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Yes, and yes.
    http://xenforo.com/help/config-php-options/

16. inkognito23

inkognito23 New Member

in this document i can just see, that for .js and data you can apply CDN, but where i can apply CDN URL for just style grafics?

17. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

You need to go into the ACP --> Appearance --> Style Properties --> General and set Path To Images

EG, I had them on images.z22se.org.uk as the CDN, so set the style property to be http://images.z22se.org.uk/styles/uix (for that particular theme)

18. Main Company

Main Company Active Member

Can anyone suggest other external storage options besides Amazon's S3.

19. md_5

md_5 Well-Known Member

Gonna give this another bump.

Lemme know if you'd like a thread with more info.

Max and Mouth like this.