Temporary attachments should only be viewable by the session/user which adds them

Xon

Affected version
XenForo implements temporary attachments without additional constraints to view them, with the guest posting feature this sadly can be trivially exploited for spam:

Or this one...

Upload images in the quick editor and never post a reply. Use the URL of those images in an email for various phishing attacks. The URL points to your forum (images are uploaded to your server).
I received a message about this with the URLs of the images via the contact form. And then the investigation began.

I'm not sure what else to do here to prevent this except to reduce Store drafts for X hours a bit.

The only real solution is to lock viewing temporary attachments to the session which created them for guests, or for the logged in user.

Last edited:
I essentially reported this issue a few years ago (still unaddressed), although I gave different reasons why it was problematic:

In short, my analysis was that it was possible to use temporary attachments to bypass some permissions and quotas. I had not considered the SPAM angle. Temporary attachments should be tied to a specific user account / guest session, AND should be tied to a specific editor session (new post in forum X) which can be verified using some kind of editor hash for the content-type/context/container combination.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom