[rellect] Favicon For Links

[rellect] Favicon For Links 3.0.1

No permission to download
do update here if this works for you on 2.1. i am seeing some movement around links at the time of rendering. it could be some third party code interfering on my board!

ok. so it does work for me. but not on some links. behavior seems to be random. but the links where it fails... they have an emoji in text content. here is an example.

ok. so it does work for me. but not on some links. behavior seems to be random. but the links where it fails... they have an emoji in text content. here is an example.
This is actually intentional. The favicon won't show in links that contain images to prevent confusion, and also it doesn't look good in most cases as the image may be bigger than the favicon.

finally realized why this started happening in 2.1 release. the emoji switcher! that uses images for non-native emojis.
switched to native emoji and the behavior is now similar to 2.0 release.

Did anyone figure out the JavaScript/jQuery necessary in the template rellect_favicon to disable it if the link string contains website.com so that internal links don't have the favicon?

Did anyone figure out the JavaScript/jQuery necessary in the template rellect_favicon to disable it if the link string contains website.com so that internal links don't have the favicon?
Any way to disable for internal links? Thanks!

@DroidOne @frm I saw your messages just now, you can try something like this (add to your css)
CSS:
.baseHtml a.setFavicon.internalLink {
    background: none !important;
    padding: 3px !important;
}

I didn't test it but it should work
I wasn't able to get that to work on my forum, but it pointed me in the right direction where I owe you a cup of Joe :coffee: since repeated internal links kept showing up with our own favicon and annoying; annoying enough where I was about to pay for development or another add on to disable it for internal links.

This is the code that I used that made the fonts of the link and sentences connect for internal links, but appear just the same as they would for external links (I was trying to do it in JS and failed horribly each time when CSS accomplished it).
CSS:
// Remove internal link favicons
a:link.link.link--internal.has-favicon {
    padding: 0px !important;
}
1578227608638.webp

Highlighted as the padding had to be 0 in order to "connect" and not separate by 3px:
1578227667803.webp
(Grammarly got in the way of the delayed snip)

Hello @rellect,

thanks for the addon, suuuper works.
Now we only have the problem that links are also linked in private forums, which "Google" then also notices.
Can you maybe create a way that in forums, marked as private, nothing was linked by this addon?

Hello @rellect,

thanks for the addon, suuuper works.
Now we only have the problem that links are also linked in private forums, which "Google" then also notices.
Can you maybe create a way that in forums, marked as private, nothing was linked by this addon?
I'm not sure what you mean, but if you want to disable it in specific forums, try adding to your css something like
CSS:
body[data-container-key="node-15"] .link.has-favicon {
    padding: 0px !important;
}
Replace 15 with the relevant forum id.

this issue does not affect me but still curious. css can hide ui elements but would it stop actual fetching of the favicon? OP does not want Google to find out the URLs of his private forums from where favicons are fetched from Google servers.

this issue does not affect me but still curious. css can hide ui elements but would it stop actual fetching of the favicon? OP does not want Google to find out the URLs of his private forums from where favicons are fetched from Google servers.
Resetting the background-image will prevent the call to the google favicon service.
But I don't really understand what's the concern here.
I don't think this triggers google to scan the page. And if it's private the page should be noindex+nofollow to let google know not to index it.

that's true. but google's favicon service would log the fetching request as a hit from the URLs of the private forums. they won't have access to it because they are private. but URLs would be recorded in their web server logs. same thing also happens if you preview URLs in private forums. I am not sure at the moment if xenforo has an option to disable the previewing options in private forums.

If URLs/IPs are transmitted for DNS resolution, they contain sensitive data, I want to prevent that.

With Google Ads, I prevent this in the Adcode
<xf: if is = "!in_array ($__globals.forum.node_id, [5,1,2,3,4])">
... AdCode here
</ Xf: if>

This is currently not possible with your addon, so my request.

If URLs/IPs are transmitted for DNS resolution, they contain sensitive data, I want to prevent that.

With Google Ads, I prevent this in the Adcode
<xf: if is = "!in_array ($__globals.forum.node_id, [5,1,2,3,4])">
... AdCode here
</ Xf: if>

This is currently not possible with your addon, so my request.
The code snippet I provided in one of the previous messages will prevent loading favicons in specific forums.

Top Bottom