1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[rellect] Desktop Version For Mobiles 1.2.0

Allows to see the desktop version when browsing using a mobile device.

1. rellect

rellect Well-Known Member

rellect submitted a new resource:

[rellect] Desktop Version For Mobiles - Toggle between the responsive design and the full desktop design in your mobile device.

Read more about this resource...

DRE likes this.
  2. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

How does this work?

Any chance of a demo?

3. rellect

To make a responsive design to work, we need to set a width in the viewport meta tag.
    By a simple javascript code, I change this data. This makes the browser to render in full width.
    Absolutely harmless.

Unfortunately no demo is available for now.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    DRE likes this.
  4. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

It works!

5. RobParker

Visiting your site on my ipad I see the desktop/mobile link but don't see a difference switching between the two. I assume that's because the ipad version shows the full res site but it thinks its a mobile version due to the user agent?

6. RobParker

Portrait version DOES show a difference though :)

7. rellect

rellect updated [rellect] Desktop Version For Mobiles with a new update entry:

v1.0.1

Read the rest of this update entry...

8. zagorskey

zagorskey Active Member

It works great on iPad. The only issue I'm experiencing is that anchor's phrase always stays Mobile Version and it doesn't change on switch.

9. rellect

I found an issue here, working to resolve it.

zagorskey likes this.
  10. rellect

11. zagorskey

zagorskey Active Member

The phrase now changes properly but the link still doesn't bring responsive design back if tapped 2nd time, you need to refresh the page to see responsive design again.

One quick suggestion though, in rellect_desktop_version_js template <script type="text/javascript"> can be avoided and replaced with <script> since Xenforo is coded in HTML5.

12. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Very lite, Thanks for this!
    I will try :)

13. rellect

Do you have it installed in a live site? I'll take a look.
    I tested it few times in my iPhone and it works fine.
    Note that if you zoom in and click the link, you won׳t be zoomed out. So sometimes it makes you think that nothing happened when actually you just need to change the zooming. This is something that can't be controlled by javascript as far as I know.

Thanks for the javascript type advice. I always declare the type even though it's not need, it looks weird to me without it. Habits hard to change.

14. zagorskey

zagorskey Active Member

Just started a conversation.

15. lifehome

lifehome Member

Is this suitable for any style on xenforo?
    Or just certain template modification and it will work as well?

16. rellect

Will work on any style.

17. TeflonDon

TeflonDon Well-Known Member

Right now I'm accomplishing this by using duplicate styles...the only difference in the styles is the ad codes and responsive enabled or disabled. My mobile styles use a different ad code compared to the desktop version, is there anyway this addon would be able to behave similarly?

18. rellect

When switching between the mobile and the desktop version, a 'click' event is fired. You can listen to this event and replace the code based on that. A minimal jQuery knowledge is needed though.

19. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Switching from Mobile > Desktop and Desktop > Mobile is not real time/instant on Firefox Android.

20. rellect

Thanks, I'll see what I can do. I guess I'll need to detect firefox and force a refresh.

RoldanLT likes this.