Regular updates please

Razasharp

If Mike and Kier are reading this please consider posting more about XF/what you guys are working on/planning to include/which suggestions have made it etc, I really disliked not having that from the vB days and greatly appreciated it when I was experimenting with IPB (and totally love the transparency in open-source software like Rails).

Just one hour every two weeks isn't much, but it is a huge plus from a customers perspective - on so many levels, from showing (and perpetuating) your excitement about your product to keeping everyone in the loop and inspiring them with how features or ideas can be used, to allowing us to better plan our sites. The lack of openness(/caring enough about us to keep us updated) was my single biggest hate from vB (which we know wasn't your fault - as you weren't calling the shots there).

I really like the 'Have you seen' section but a more general 'updates' section might be better as it may not always be possible to announce new features all the time.

C'mon guys, pretty please? :p

I'm sure that when we will approach to 1.2, Kier and Mike will post the new features in development...Remember: 2° quarter of 2012. It's too early now...just wait and enjoy 1.1. :-)

Wasting your time on this one.

I'm not sure you know. I think Kier & Mike started off with the intention of regular updates (Have you seen section) but obviously that section ran dry and they just forgot about it. Hopefully they'll consider renaming it to 'updates' and will continue to keep us posted in there.

I'm not sure you know. I think Kier & Mike started off with the intention of regular updates (Have you seen section) but obviously that section ran dry and they just forgot about it. Hopefully they'll consider renaming it to 'updates' and will continue to keep us posted in there.
The HYS is for showcasing features of XenForo, not so much for regular updates (The updates have never been regular in the first place).

If they do post any updates (Which they've done occasionally) it has been in the announcement forum.

That's not true. Whenever they feel there is something worth showcasing, typically shortly before a new major release, they post new videos. My guess is that for the time being they are working on getting new stuff included, or existing stuff extended, and for now, everything is very much a work in progress, with options still bound to change.

It simply does not make sense creating videos about stuff that is very likely to change in functionality (which would undoubtedly end up in people questioning where feature a went, why feature b was moved, and why feature x, y, and z were not in it.

I also feel that's why no video was released for the RM yet, as it currently is going through a test run, and lots of things will change before it is released to the public. When it will, you most likely will know its release is imminent when the video goes up.

Timing is everything. When they're ready to show off a feature, or features, they'll post it. HYS is mostly a Q&A forum, a suggestion & feedback forum, but it's actually a "hype train" forum from a marketing standpoint.

That's not true. Whenever they feel there is something worth showcasing, typically shortly before a new major release, they post new videos. My guess is that for the time being they are working on getting new stuff included, or existing stuff extended, and for now, everything is very much a work in progress, with options still bound to change.

It simply does not make sense creating videos about stuff that is very likely to change in functionality (which would undoubtedly end up in people questioning where feature a went, why feature b was moved, and why feature x, y, and z were not in it.

I also feel that's why no video was released for the RM yet, as it currently is going through a test run, and lots of things will change before it is released to the public. When it will, you most likely will know its release is imminent when the video goes up.

I would think that there being a 'Have you seen' section shows by mere definition that they intended to update people on things (even if it was then limited to just 'new' features).

Also nobody's asking for videos, we would just like updates and an idea of what to expect, what's going on etc.

I would think that there being a 'Have you seen' section shows by mere definition that they intended to update people on things (even if it was then limited to just 'new' features).

Also nobody's asking for videos, we would just like updates and an idea of what to expect, what's going on etc.
You mean like what's in the Announcements forum? Looking at the dates and the information contained with, that seems to match the criteria you specify.

The HYS forum was most likely intended to show off new features for when a new version, I.E. 1.2, 1.3, etc are nearing a release.

You mean like what's in the Announcements forum? Looking at the dates and the information contained with, that seems to match the criteria you specify.

Is an update, or an informal post about development or features an announcement? (I would say no)

The HYS forum was most likely intended to show off new features for when a new version, I.E. 1.2, 1.3, etc are nearing a release.

Yes... but it's still an 'update' of sorts (hence the point I was making).

Is an update, or an informal post about development or features an announcement? (I would say no)

Yes... but it's still an 'update' of sorts (hence the point I was making).
How aren't they announcements? They contain essential information pertaining to XenForo, including development information. If you cannot call those updates or an announcements, than I don't know what you can call them.

What I don't get is you shrug off the announcement forum updates, but then think that the HYS forum threads are updates?

Announcements would be fine if I got email notifications on them.
There is no way to set that as I can only set notify after the thread appears. That rather defeats the idea.

Top Bottom