1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Tis-food, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Tis-food

Tis-food Member

Hi - is there a way to add to the registration process saying their date of birth will not be visible on the forum as some people have questioned this.

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

As long as you have the default options correct in Admin CP > Options > User Registration then their date of birth and age won't show.

After that, the absolutely easiest way to make them aware is to edit this phrase in Admin CP > Appearance > Search Phrases: Title: your_date_of_birth_is_required

The text currently reads: "Your date of birth is required."

You could change it to: "Your date of birth is required but will not be visible to others."
    Morgain likes this.
  3. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

Different ways to do it.
    The elegant way is to get a coder to make you an addon.

The simplest way is to add the words you want to the registration form.
    Quick hack:
    In admincp go to Appearances/ Templates
    Put register_form in the filter box at top - or just register then open register_form
    In the template click at the top, then use CTRL+F to locate date_of_birth
    In the code you will see the code I display here - you dont need to understand it, just check it looks the same so you're in the right place.

<dl class="ctrlUnit OptOut">
            <dt>{xen:phrase date_of_birth}:<br /><i>Required</i></dt>
                <xen:include template="helper_birthday_input">
                    <xen:map from="$fields" to="$user" />
    CHANGE IT by adding

<dl class="ctrlUnit OptOut">
            <dt>{xen:phrase date_of_birth}:<br /><i>Required</i></dt>
            <dd>Your date of birth will not be visible on the forum.<br /><br />
                <xen:include template="helper_birthday_input">
                    <xen:map from="$fields" to="$user" />
    Copy and paste in the line in blue, exactly as you see here.
    I always leave a blank line after a change so as to find it again easily if I want to edit it.

Optional. Add <xen:comment>TIS CHANGE HERE</xen:comment>
    on the blank line right on the left. That'll be invisible xcept in admin.
    You can then always find it by searching on TIS CHANGE - together with other changes you make which you label like this.

More elegant methods are: creating a new Phrase; or making an include. Neither are difficult.
    I suggest that if you use this or similar XF help posts, you copy this post into a document and keep it with the rst of the notes you keep on your site.
  4. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't just changing the phrase work? Accomplishes the same thing...
  5. Tis-food

Tis-food Member

That works a treat, thanks very much :)