Registered Group Member Video Upload Permissions

Alfuzzy

In Groups & Permissions area for the "Registered" user group I have "Upload videos to posts" set to "No". Yet a new member joined today in the "Registered" user group...and was able to upload two videos into a post.

In the "Node Permissions" for the particular forum area in question..."Upload video to posts" is set to "Inherit".

What the heck do I have have set incorrectly for this newly registered member of the "Registered" user group to be able to upload videos?

Thanks

I ran the "Analyze Permissions" tool on the user in question...and as expected:

• Upload videos to posts = No
  • Upload attachments to posts = Yes

If this member was able to include videos in their posts...does this mean "Upload attachments" can be images or videos? If my goal is to not allow members of the "Registered" user group to posts videos in any way...how is this done?

Thanks

Check to see what attachments are allowed to be uploaded. If you allowed certain file extensions that can be video then yes, they can upload those.

Check to see what attachments are allowed to be uploaded. If you allowed certain file extensions that can be video then yes, they can upload those.
Thanks. Where do I go in the AdminCP to check which video file extensions are allowed/not allowed?

As a side-note...shouldn't the permission setting "Upload videos to posts = No" already do this (block all file extensions related to video files)?

If not...what does this setting do? Lol

Had a chance to check Options > Attachments...and my AdminCP settings look very similar to the screenshot above.

• "Allow video uploads with maximum file size"...is not enabled (the box is unchecked).
  • "Allowed attachment file extensions:" is very similar...I have zip, txt, pdf, png, jpg, jpeg, joe, gif, psd, tif, tiff (nothing video related.

Thanks

p.s. By the way...what version of XF are you running? My XF setting for Allow video uploads says "Allow video uploads"...yours says "Allow video/audio uploads" (yours includes the word "audio"). Thanks

2..2.5 which is the latest version. If you are still having problems then create a ticket with XF and have them figure it out. What type of videos are they posting? Is it youtube videos? If so then thats url related not files being attached.

Thanks again Jeb35. Yes the videos this member posted are YouTube videos. I was going to mention that initially...but didn't realize it was important/special case.

Since these are YouTube videos (and URL related)...does that mean there's really nothing that can be done...without blocking all "normal/non-video" URL based attachments/links?

Thanks

Last edited:
You would need custom development in order to not allow url's in posts. However, there may already be an addon that accomplishes this but I'm not sure.
Good deal. This certainly explains how/why this member is able to include Youtube videos in his posts...even though XF permissions for the user group he's in don't allow it.

Thanks much for the help.:)

Its because the video isn't attached to the post, its a url link to a video. 2 different things here.
I understand that. The problem/confusion is...the majority of forum members are going to post URL links in thread replies from another website...not so much uploading/attaching a video from a phone, tablet, or computer. And even if they were going to do that...they could easily upload a video to a video hosting site...then post that URL in a forum thread. Which then completely bypasses the Xenforo group permissions system for videos!

Top Bottom