Reformat and Online Storage

Xarcell

So I'm wanting to restore my PC to factory and re-install all my needed programs, etc etc. I'm also a photographer, so unfortunately I have about 100GB(altogether) worth of photos & theme PSD's that needs to be stored, just to be re-downloaded after the reformat.

Any ideas on this? I'm really low on cash, I don't have the flash drives or enough dvd's to store it all. I was thinking more towards online storage? Any suggestions?

Just how fast is your upload speed? :p

I wouldn't dream of uploading 100GB with anything less than 10mbit, and even then it's going to take quite a while.

I understand it would take awhile to upload(1MB upload) and I'm willing to pay a little. I was thinking along the lines of amazon's cloud drive.

Hard Drive is out of the question because for some reason they don't last longer than 6 months or so and they crap out on me. My wife has forbidden the purchase of anymore hard drives. I'm kinda at a loss here, and not sure what to do. I really want another external hard drive, but like I said, they don't last. All I put on them are photos that I take.

Send attachments to yourself via gmail
etc.

Hard Drive is out of the question because for some reason they don't last longer than 6 months or so and they crap out on me. My wife has forbidden the purchase of anymore hard drives. I'm kinda at a loss here, and not sure what to do. I really want another external hard drive, but like I said, they don't last. All I put on them are photos that I take.
First things first; Most external hard drives come with at least 1 year warranty, so if you have an issue before then just RMA it.
Uploading 100G at 1Mbps (I am guessing it's 1 Mbit, not 1MByte per second for your upload) will take like 6 days straight, let's say your machine sucks 300W, that's $7 just for power if your power is $0.10/kWh (I would be paying over $14 just to upload that data, then you have to download it again albeit faster). Throw in another $40 on top of that and you can just buy another external drive.

If you know where to plug an internal disk in you can just back up to that, you can probably get an internal disk for like $30 at the grocery store or for like $35 at Newegg -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603 4025&IsNodeId=1&name=$25 - $50

Buy your wife some flowers and it's all good.

So I'm wanting to restore my PC to factory and re-install all my needed programs, etc etc. I'm also a photographer, so unfortunately I have about 100GB(altogether) worth of photos & theme PSD's that needs to be stored, just to be re-downloaded after the reformat.

Any ideas on this? I'm really low on cash, I don't have the flash drives or enough dvd's to store it all. I was thinking more towards online storage? Any suggestions?
Why not just pay for a hosting for unlimited disk and transfer for monthly?

www.hostgator.com

Seems to me like that would be a solution and cheap. I have upload scripts on most of my domains but I sure would charge you more than the $9.95 a month that hostgator would charge.

Just A Thought

Why not just pay for a hosting for unlimited disk and transfer for monthly?

www.hostgator.com

Seems to me like that would be a solution and cheap. I have upload scripts on most of my domains but I sure would charge you more than the $9.95 a month that hostgator would charge.

Just A Thought

I was going to suggest this too. I have about 450 GB of storage on my web hosting account at hostgator.com. Get their cheapest plan.

I have a hosting plan, I just don't think my host would appreciate me uploading 100GB worth of stuff non-stop for a couple of days.

I have a hosting plan, I just don't think my host would appreciate me uploading 100GB worth of stuff non-stop for a couple of days.
Thats what you pay them for.

As long as you're within their terms of service, they really cannot complain about how much you upload to your site as long as its legal.

Local storage always works out cheaper and more convenient than online storage, unless you are storing tiny documents. You'd have to be something of a glutton for punishment to want to store 100GB of photo data online.

I'm sort of wondering -why- you have continued issues with external hard drives?

It sounds like something in the environment is causing them to fail so quickly... or you're buying lower quality ones (which I don't think you are).

If you really have a need for a truly robust backup system, and don't really mind throwing down the money for it, and want something that you can easily upgrade/fix if there is an issue, you might want to make a local FreeNAS system.

You can do it for ~$100-200, and are really only limited in the parts you buy. Its also fun to do (y).

You can buy a 250gb hdd for £30... so thats like $50 us.

Already stated why hard drives aren't viable.

Top Bottom