Reformat and Online Storage

I know the feeling, I have several backup options

I have a 1tb external drive, an external 250gb drive and 1tb of offsite backup space.

If you wanna share the offsite one, let me know :P

Here is a great deal from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136514

I guess we have different experiences with HD. But I've never had one fail on me. I have a seagate 300gb. I let countless friends borrow it, even dropped it many times (on a carpeted floor). Still ticking after 3 years. if you decide to go with a HD, then just keep it clean of dust, and well-ventilated.

anyhow, you can try this service if you still got wife aggro: http://www.dropbox.com/

Wouldn't it be just as well backing up the data on dvds? The time your going to spend on uploading to a host etc would be better spent just going down the backup dvd route. It's got to be faster, cheaper.

Here is a great deal from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136514

I guess we have different experiences with HD. But I've never had one fail on me. I have a seagate 300gb. I let countless friends borrow it, even dropped it many times (on a carpeted floor). Still ticking after 3 years. if you decide to go with a HD, then just keep it clean of dust, and well-ventilated.

anyhow, you can try this service if you still got wife aggro: http://www.dropbox.com/

I looked at dropbox and didn't feel it was for me. However, someone suggested adrive. So far it's working for me.

Wouldn't it be just as well backing up the data on dvds? The time your going to spend on uploading to a host etc would be better spent just going down the backup dvd route. It's got to be faster, cheaper.

Burning data on a dvd isn't much faster than uploading it. Not to mention I would have to spend time breaking everything up into 4GG and burn 25 disks to back everything up. There are some thing I don't want to break up, like a folder with a style design that has various PSD's where I experimented with design.

Burning data on a dvd isn't much faster than uploading it. Not to mention I would have to spend time breaking everything up into 4GG and burn 25 disks to back everything up. There are some thing I don't want to break up, like a folder with a style design that has various PSD's where I experimented with design.

Not trying to tell you what to do but burning onto dvd has got to be faster than uploading to a host, much faster. Can't you use the dual layered discs? 9 gig capacity surely you haven't got a style design and the psds associated with thoses that exceed 9 gig? even 4 gig.

I know if i had a choice, i'd burn them off any day of the week rather than upload them.

Not trying to tell you what to do but burning onto dvd has got to be faster than uploading to a host, much faster. Can't you use the dual layered discs? 9 gig capacity surely you haven't got a style design and the psds associated with thoses that exceed 9 gig? even 4 gig.

I know if i had a choice, i'd burn them off any day of the week rather than upload them.

yes, I have exceeded 4 gig on several occasions not on a single design, but series of designs on various CMS/Forum programs. With all the PSD's and icons remade. Though I haven't went that far with xF, because xF doesn't use a crap load of images like SMF does(just look at their theme folder). However, I did burn 4gig worth of photos. It took about 2 and half hours. The same amount of time for me to upload that much.

What I need is an 100GB flash drive taht works with windows 7. Unfortunately, I cannot buy any at this time.

I did find an old external seagate HD. Wasn't using it because I didn't want it to crap out on me. Today I hooked it up and guess what? It doesn't work. There goes all my family movies including the birth of my daughter. I have inexpensive flash drives that don't work with windows 7. It pisses me off. Hard drives that crap out on me, and 4Gb dvds that take hours to burn, plus I don't want to sit here and try to keep up with more dvd's. I already have over 300 between backups and movies(but I use netflix now on my 360 ;) ).

But thanks for the suggestions. The more I think about it, I'm leaning more towards online storage. Microsoft has skydrive, dropbox is good, cloud drive might be better for me professionally, and I reckon I'll use google docs to backup the books I've been writing. I'm using adrive at the moment, but I may invest in cloud drive in the future. I just wanna see what else is out there first...

I did find an old external seagate HD. Wasn't using it because I didn't want it to crap out on me. Today I hooked it up and guess what? It doesn't work. There goes all my family movies including the birth of my daughter.
Between work (I purchase all the equipment for the department) and home I have probably bought a couple hundred external drives over the years and did not have a single one of them fail.

It's possible that you just drew the short straw and got all those that were screwed up, or there is something about your environment or usage, or it's user error that makes them fail. I have been in the IT industry for some 15 years now and I have never come across someone who experienced multiple drive failure after the fact. I have come across lots of bad drives, particularly during the IBM "Deathstar" fiasco where a whole set of drives were just not working right out of the box, but having one user for whom drives fail all the time is new.

What I am trying to say is that there's nothing wrong with the technology. The problem has to be related to usage. For example, external drives can't be treated the same way as laptops, they aren't mobile drives, they lack free fall sensors. They are meant to be stationary during operation. A lot of manufacturers, retardedly, sell drives that stand upright, or vertically, or on the narrow end, whatever you want to call it. That's totally accident prone. If that drive tips over, especially while powered on, there's a very good chance that something will screw up and you'll lose all your data. Always buy external drives that are designed to lay flat so that there is no tipping risk.

If all your drives went bad on while connected to the same computer it is possible that your USB port somehow puts out too much power and damages the external drive's USB controller. That's actually good news because the drive itself is not affected and your data is fully recoverable. Buy one of these: BYTECC BT-300 USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter, crack open the external enclosure, pull the drive out, and connect it to the adapter. Then connect the adapter to a different computer than the one that may have screwed the drive up and see whether your data shows up.

Let's figure out what's causing the failures and fix that, then you'll love external drives again, especially if your computer has an eSATA port and you get full drive speeds from the externals.

What I need is an 100GB flash drive taht works with windows 7. Unfortunately, I cannot buy any at this time.

You can, it's just that they are out of your price range from what I gather.
128GB Crucial Real SSD with USB adapter @ $255

<snip> but having one user for whom drives fail all the time is new.
<snip>

My last 4 computers have had internal HDD's fail after varying lengths of time.. Including my current one, which I had the HDD replaced a few months ago... I have also had a Maxtor back up unit fail.....No one else in the family has this issue, so it is not environmental. All have been high quality HDD's including Seagate.

There's just something up with me I am sure :(

I'm gone through maybe 8 external drives in 8 years. I buy one or two a year, and they crap out on me after 6-14 months. I've used western digital, seagate, maxtor, and simpletech(which outlasted all others). It seems like every year about the same time, I gotta go spend $100 on a new external harddrive.

I've heard various theories on what is crashing my drives. Viruses, spyware, dust, and power surges. I'm took measures to protect them from all of that, but still they fail. Never had a problem with an internal drive or flash drive. Go figure...

Nowadays I prefer flash drives, but all the ones I bought are not compatible with windows 7. My laptop(which also crapped out on me recently) runs XP.

Eventually I will just use online storage for everything except my photos. I plan to buy 100+Gb flash drive in a couple of months(need to start saving) to start storing my photos, since I may traveling with them alot.(I do photography as a hobby).

I'm gone through maybe 8 external drives in 8 years. I buy one or two a year, and they crap out on me after 6-14 months. I've used western digital, seagate, maxtor, and simpletech(which outlasted all others). It seems like every year about the same time, I gotta go spend $100 on a new external harddrive.

I've heard various theories on what is crashing my drives. Viruses, spyware, dust, and power surges. I'm took measures to protect them from all of that, but still they fail. Never had a problem with an internal drive or flash drive. Go figure...

Nowadays I prefer flash drives, but all the ones I bought are not compatible with windows 7. My laptop(which also crapped out on me recently) runs XP.

Eventually I will just use online storage for everything except my photos. I plan to buy 100+Gb flash drive in a couple of months(need to start saving) to start storing my photos, since I may traveling with them alot.(I do photography as a hobby).
Do you by any chance live in a hot climate?

Might be time to invest in a 128+GB SSD if your luck with hard disks is really that bad. Especially since you're formatting anyway.

Dust shouldn't be an issue with hard drives as they are hermetically sealed. Even a smoke particle is too big for a modern hard drive.

Have to say it's been a worthwhile conversation all in all. Didn't expect much from it, but there has been a lot of good information.

I have a storage PC which has 500 Gigs of internal Hard drive. The drive has been with me for 6 years now and continues to work just fine. I don't see why your hard drives fail on you.

Top Bottom