Reformat and Online Storage

LMAO ...

Personally from a whole lot of experience, if you want external, buy an internal. I know this sounds stupid but...internal drives are cheaper generally and with this you get the flexibility to change drives ( instantly if you get a dock instead of an enclosure) without the cost of buying a pre-fab enclosure which generally once it goes the whole thing is a paperweight.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&name=External-Enclosures

I use an Azio dock and it has not given me any problems and this allows me to have drives that I don't use daily inside my tower where I A. have no room and B. don't need any more heat.

I would do this before spending money on a monthly rental even (especially if it is for just a month) also I would also venture a guess that your ISP has a cap and when you reach that transfer cap your bandwidth gets throttled.

Also I have seen usb external HDDs get killed by the usb port when they don't have their own ac power supply (HDD powered over USB) ..for this reason I do not use hard drives anymore that spin from power over usb. I have one...but it collects dust basically.
http://electronics.hsn.com/hp-simpl...backup-hard-drive-with-case_p-5818612_xp.aspx ...LOL you want it

Local storage always works out cheaper and more convenient than online storage, unless you are storing tiny documents. You'd have to be something of a glutton for punishment to want to store 100GB of photo data online.
I couldn't agree more with this. NewEgg has a 2TB drive (external) for under $100. You could even get 2 smaller external drives for less than that amount if you're paranoid about having more than 2 backups. Don't think that flash drives are so much better for long term storage than mechanical hard drives. They each have their issues, including with data recovery should something ever go badly.

Anyone who says that internal hard drives don't last longer than six months either (a) has purchased junk, or (b) has magnetic items nearby, (c) uses the hard drives regularly for punishing activities, or (d) has horrible luck. Virtually all of my storage drives have lasted for many years and, in many instances, longer than my CDs and DVDs (Taiyo Yuden no less) which are supposed to last several decades. I have rarely had reliable hard drives fail such as those made by Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung and Hitachi. If you're not using them, they shouldn't go bad just by sitting there. It will leave you plenty of time to store them until you have another solution.

Here's one more idea -- after copying your data invest in 4-5 blu-ray discs which should cost you about $20 for top of the line. You can burn all of those files onto a blu-ray.

Top Bottom