1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Referrals

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by ---MAD---, Aug 23, 2010.

1. ---MAD---

---MAD--- Well-Known Member

Howdy,

I just noticed there is no referral box when registering? Would be a nice addition to see which members are helping spread the word ;).

Maybe also a "who did you refer" page to see which members joined because of you.

Thoughts?

Banu, 51463, Giray and 50 others like this.
  2. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

In my experience, referrals aren't really used all that much, but maybe my experience isn't representative of everyone.

::abdo:: and Dean like this.
  3. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Referrals tend to be used on my forums quite often, but on a few of them we also gave rewards for referred active members.

4. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Well... inside information tells me that a certain individual labeled 'Mike' decided to destroy this functionality in his former project :p. You see, this bug is 2 years old and it has never ever returned in vBulletin... isn't it strange that referrals aren't used that much anymore? ;) Now you know who is to blame and this time it's not IB (for once), but one of our Saviors! How remarkable as it sounds, he... (and now it would be really nasty if it returns in XenForo, hehehe)

On a serious note: when it still worked on my vBulletin powered site it also wasn't used that much, because vBulletin did nothing to rewards those referrers (see reply of Forsaken). There was no automatic system attached to it, making it all a bit pointless/useless for 99% of my member base.

Forsaken and Ceri May like this.
  5. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

Referrals is a good feature!

Corey likes this.
  6. James

James Well-Known Member

My site use referrals a lot and it's something we offer free VIP for. It also helps keep track of who is bringing others to the site.

Would love for this to return.

Remember to Like the first post guys.

Corey likes this.
  7. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

i'm totally agree.

8. Floris

Floris Guest

The reason it is underused is because it has always been under developed.

There is no connection system for it, you don't auto follow each other when you refer some one, the list isn't there, so you can't see who is connected to who, unless you load each individual profile. There's no 'lets invite more friends' to extend the referral system, etc ..

Joe Link, Flexin, Corey and 1 other person like this.
  9. ---MAD---

---MAD--- Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

Trophies could also be handed out to people who refer people as a reward :).

Corey likes this.
  10. Peter

Peter Active Member

I'm surprised not many actually clicked the like button even as they like it. ;-)

11. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Tie in referrals to trophies.. might want to check that the person is using their own link to register accounts.

Corey and AmericanForum.com like this.
  12. JamesM

JamesM Member

Fantastic idea. I think an advanced referral system is needed.

Corey likes this.
  13. AmericanForum.com

AmericanForum.com Well-Known Member

Anybody making a referral system that is tied to Trophies ? ... your addon is SOLD ! :)

Florian Christensen likes this.
  14. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

One problem with awarding trophies for referrals: members registering fake accounts to get more trophies. IP checking won't help either.

It has never been used on my forums anyway so don't care about this.

15. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Paul M's addon for proxy detection combined with a few things ought to do the trick. It's magical.

16. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

Unless you're dealing with dynamic IP addresses or registrations from public computers/ at their friends.

17. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

There are other ways, such as browser / mac detection.

18. JIffff

JIffff New Member

I would like to see this feature implemented.

I was intending to use it so that partners could advertise my forum and then the members they refer would be shown adverts of the referrers choosing (either their own products or the referrers affiliate link). Good for getting a forum off the ground I thought.

Corey likes this.
  19. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Not only the above valid (I I may partly say so myself) arguments are the reason it was -understandably- underused (sometime you wonder who is/was doing usability-tests on those forum packages? :confused:), but this -on vBulletin- is yet another reason:

(Source: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...tion-for-3.8?p=1660169&viewfull=1#post1660169)

Corey likes this.
  20. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

These are also good suggestion:

(Source: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...tics-Suggestion-for-3.8?p=1660124#post1660124)

And one of my Moderators wondered if this would be possible (for obvious benefits, but since I am no technical person I don't know if it's possible at all) as a referrerID:

I am in need of promoting my sites as much as possible and having more links from external sites to mine would be welcome. A (for once) easy and fun/rewarding to use Referral System is something that can play a valuable part in self-promotion.

Corey likes this.