• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Redirection Scripts for Invision Power Board 3.1.x/3.2.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really sure what to suggest then - you could probably go into Google Webmaster Tools and tell it that the content is no longer there, but suddenly having a vast amount of content suddenly disappear is generally on the recommended list of things to do to improve your search engine rankings...

I'm not really sure what to suggest then - you could probably go into Google Webmaster Tools and tell it that the content is no longer there, but suddenly having a vast amount of content suddenly disappear is generally on the recommended list of things to do to improve your search engine rankings...

Removing URL's from googles search engine is a bad move and can cause all sorts of issues. I have around 168 URL's which I need to redirect, can I not use a 301 redirect in .htaccess ? If so, how would I do this?

Removing URL's from googles search engine is a bad move and can cause all sorts of issues. I have around 168 URL's which I need to redirect, can I not use a 301 redirect in .htaccess ? If so, how would I do this?
If you didn't do an import, I don't understand where you would expect them to redirect?

Oh right, I thought it would as easy as adding (redirect 301 oldurl newurl) to htaccess :(

IP.Board is one software, it has files and a database. It operates in its own manner.
If you want to use XenForo, which has its own files, its own database, and operates in its own manner.
They are not compatible, and you have to convert the data from the source database to the target database.

Once that's done. You have a working XenForo instance, and you could delete the IP.Board one.

Now, this redirect script here is to help capture the old urls that search engines, bookmarks by users, or links in email, etc type in, recognize the old pattern, and it checks against what the import script has converted, internally. And then rewrites the URL with a perm 301 (to inform search engines the old one is no longer valid and has a new location) to the new xenforo one. On it's own file, it's own unique id.

The redirect script is NOT how you convert data between softwares, it's a .. redirect .. script ..

Plus, if you expect it to work with the old IP.Board files and database, you shouldn't have deleted it. If you expect XenForo to just redirect the data real quick, it still needs to, would have still expected, the data to be in the source, and not 'redirect' the URL ... deleting the source would have taken well, the source, out of the equation.

Convert your IP.Board to XenForo, put the redirect scripts in place, and you're done. And you have replaced IP.Board with XenForo, and you could then delete the IP.Board instance.

This script is for when:

user goes to google and types in: something something
Your URL of the old IP.Board is suggested as a result. With link example.com/ipb/old.php?id=12

In the meantime, you have converted the data on old.php with unique id from 12 to xenforo, with unique id 44

XenForo's IPB redirect script recognizes old.php?id=12 and checks internally, finds 44, and goes to /threads/12/

The user browser google didn't find a 404, but ended up on the new page. And Google with the 301 perm redirect is informed they can forget about 12, and the next time someone googles for something something, it finds threads/44/ instead (even with the seofriendlyurl behind it.

I hope that explains the difference between converting from ipb to xenforo, and additionally using the redirect script.

Maybe I am wrong, but your posts implied you thought the redirect script is what the convert was.. put script online, delete ipb and magically xenforo would know where the ipb data was - or something("?"), it didn't make much sense.

Thanks for the informative post Floris, I was really just plucking at straws to be honest, I didn't think it was possible, but doesn't stop me trying :) Knowing what Kier is capable of :D I ended up removing the URL's from Google altogether which isn't too bad as it was a new site and also the fact that the new URL structure is totally different and the removed URLs will never be used again.

Oh and it's possible to add your own custom 301 redirect in htaccess, which is what I was asking aswell, but decided it was easier to just have them removed.

I'll take this up in your support ticket, depending on your requirements there may be something that can be done.

Hi,

I had my IPB forum in a directory called /forum

Ive now renamed that /oldforum and installed xenforo in /forum

Am I right in thinking I place the files in /forum wit the xenforo files?

Also, Should I overwrite the default .htaccess that comes with xenforo?

Have some problems with this. I have invision was installed in \forum and now xenforo is instead in \forum ... I had rewrite rules on for friendly URLs (not sure if these are affected when replacing .htaccess?)

OK ... first I overwrote the .htaccess file with the one in this along with uploading the other 2 ...... Got an ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS message when I tried to revisit any page. The only way I could even get into my admincp was to remove the .htaccess file.

Try number 2

Added the $fileDir variable to the 301config file with the path set to /home/huskyown/public_html/forum which is where my xenforo installation is, and invision installation was

Defined constant as define('IMPORT_LOG_TABLE', 'archived_import_log');

Still getting ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS so have had to remove, but obviously want to get this set up as soon as poss for search engine stuff ...... ELP!!! :)
I'm having this exact issue. Is there a resolution that can be posted here, or do I need to submit a ticket?

Yes, the title was updated as there is no difference in the URL format between both versions.

Can't wait to get our site over to XF 1.1 :)

I did it last weekend - from IP.Board 3.1.4 with 1.6 million posts - and I've got to say the importer works really well. (I think Kier/Mike have made it more complete too since the first time I tested it a few months ago!!) (y)

Good luck with your move. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom