Reddit-like awards

Mave

Talking about these:

bp4TMAW.png

Idea would be that you have different awards, can choose an icon, and set a value.
I'd like to see these earned by number of posts.

Example:
50 posts = 1 silver award, can be gifted to any post
100 posts = 1 gold award, can be gifted to any post
etc

UlhM2rB.png

In my opinion, this is way better than the "like" (too Facebook-y for me)

Upvote 28
Check this out:

It's not really like trophies at all. You're given awards from other users who earn them (or buy them) and these generally reqward excellent content. Trophies are awarded automatically when you do something (make 25 posts, etc) and aren't really related to quality at all (except the "received 100 likes" type ones).

Reddit-style rewards are far more effective "gamification" to improve content/quality.

It's not really like trophies at all. You're given awards from other users who earn them (or buy them) and these generally reqward excellent content. Trophies are awarded automatically when you do something (make 25 posts, etc) and aren't really related to quality at all (except the "received 100 likes" type ones).

Reddit-style rewards are far more effective "gamification" to improve content/quality.
Exactly this. The whole point is that a user values a post so much that he "spends" his points (which he earned from posts) on an award.

Still a (wet) dream of mine that this suggestion would actually make into a Xenforo release.
Ideally you would be able to add "awards" by saying how they are earned/bought and adding an image icon.

For example: Diamond Award
- Costs 500 points (every post you create you save up award "points")
(Alternatively you can also purchase these points (you decide how much one point is worth, personally I'd say 500 points = $0,5))
  • You upload a 64x64 png icon to display the award
  • You enable the award

The benefits of these awards:
  • You'd be able to see which topics carry interesting content by looking at node indexes (the awards would be displayed after the topic title)
  • And extra option in the "What's New" menu could be "Most Gilded", another way to find the best content on your forum.

Some more screenshots:

After clicking the "award/gift" icon on Reddit mobile:

Nt01JEf.jpg

After clicking the "give award" button on Reddit desktop:

XknKuTF.png

Last edited:
it would be a valuable add for any community
No, it wouldn't. Mine turned off even the current trophy and reaction points systems. No one wanted to make discussion a competitive sport.

Is it a good idea for many boards? Probably.

But "any" is a stretch.

I am good with a change like this provided it can be turned off easily, maybe at the click of a switch. Reaction points are a pain to get rid of because so many places display them.

Even better, make it a third or first party add-on so those who don't want/need it can just not install it.

No, it wouldn't. Mine turned off even the current trophy and reaction points systems. No one wanted to make discussion a competitive sport.

Is it a good idea for many boards? Probably.

But "any" is a stretch.

I am good with a change like this provided it can be turned off easily, maybe at the click of a switch. Reaction points are a pain to get rid of because so many places display them.

Even better, make it a third or first party add-on so those who don't want/need it can just not install it.
Turning off the current trophy system makes sense, it's not a very good addition. If you want to make the point about "any" then fine, it's your prerogative.

However, Reddit uses this system to their advantage and their user base takes full advantage of it on nearly every post you see there that has any sort of traction. There are a couple of awards/badge systems here but they rely on either nominations or staff to add them, creating overhead and management. Their system puts that firmly in control of the users and IMO that's the only you'll ever get one of these systems off the ground with any real success.

Bumping because I'm curious to hear the opinion of a Xenforo staff member about this idea.
They don't usually chime in on suggestions is my experience.

However, Reddit uses this system to their advantage and their user base takes full advantage of it on nearly every post you see there that has any sort of traction. There are a couple of awards/badge systems here but they rely on either nominations or staff to add them, creating overhead and management. Their system puts that firmly in control of the users and IMO that's the only you'll ever get one of these systems off the ground with any real success.
Reddit has a very different user base than I am dealing with. People on my boards want things simple and just want to talk for the most part. These gamification features aren't really what they are interested in. I am not interested enough to upvote this and if it were to be added, I'd want an "Off" switch. I am sure it is perfect for "many" sites but I still dispute "any". There is no such thing as a feature every site wants or needs.

reddit's old "gold" system seemed more successful, though I don't have any data to back it up. Everyone knew what being "gilded" meant, what it cost, and it was flattering.

When they split gilding up into a million different things, it seems to have lost its social capital.

Top Bottom