Redactor: Remove all formatting when pasting text into the Rich Text Editor

AndyB

I would like to see an option that would would remove all formatting when pasting text into the Rich Text Editor. This would remove bold, font size, font color etc.. It would be identical to the way pasting text into the BB Code editor currently functions.

The Remove Formatting on Paste function would be a Admin CP setting.

Upvote 16
Use Ctrl+Shift+V. I believe it's cross-browser.

That's not a solution to the problem. The reason for the Remove Formatting on Paste function is to prevent members from pasting text with all sorts of formatting when they copy and paste from other websites.

That's not a solution to the problem. The reason for the Remove Formatting on Paste function is to prevent members from pasting text with all sorts of formatting when they copy and paste from other websites.
And shortcut solves that issue. Or if you prefer you can use second click and choose 'Paste as plain text'.
Also if you forgot to use Ctrl-Shift-V you can always use 'Remove formatting' button in the top left corner.

Hi CyberAP,

Thank you for the suggestions, but those solutions don't solve the problem. Members will simply copy text from another website and paste into the editor, they are not expected and will not bother to remove text formatting manually. What I would like is a switch in the Admin CP that when enabled would automatically remove all formatting when text is pasted into the Rich Text Editor.

I would like to see an option that would would remove all formatting when pasting text into the Rich Text Editor. This would remove bold, font size, font color etc.. It would be identical to the way pasting text into the BB Code editor currently functions.

+1 for me

Not only should this be an option within the Admin CP, trimming excess styling (colours/fonts/sizing/etc) from pasted content should be the default behaviour for XenForo's editor.

Users don't expect these styles to be preserved, and they will almost never attempt to clean up their content using methods like CyberAP has suggested. The vast majority don't know about keyboard shortcuts or what the little "T icon with the X next to it" on the toolbar does.

+1 for the suggestion to paste as plain text. Right now I am using a standard text editor as a go-between for all pastes into xF forums. Cut->paste into text editor->recut in text editor->paste into xF. Not exactly userfriendly, and the only other way would be to switch to the bb code editor, which isn't all that fun either. ;)

those solutions don't solve the problem. Members will simply copy text from another website and paste into the editor, they are not expected and will not bother to remove text formatting manually. What I would like is a switch in the Admin CP that when enabled would automatically remove all formatting when text is pasted into the Rich Text Editor.
This is a good post. Well thought out.

I had one of my members complaining in the very past (with the old Editor), as it somehow did not work.... because of the formatting of the Word-file.

Not sure what you mean by "somehow did not work". The text gets copied but most of the formatting is not copied.

Last edited:
There is a remove formatting button that seems to do this

Hi Reeve of Shinra,

Thank you for your suggestion, but that solution doesn't solve the problem. Members will simply copy text from another website and paste into the editor, they are not expected and will not bother to remove text formatting manually. What I would like is a switch in the Admin CP that when enabled would automatically remove all formatting when text is pasted into the Rich Text Editor

Hi Reeve of Shinra,

Thank you for your suggestion, but that solution doesn't solve the problem. Members will simply copy text from another website and paste into the editor, they are not expected and will not bother to remove text formatting manually. What I would like is a switch in the Admin CP that when enabled would automatically remove all formatting when text is pasted into the Rich Text Editor

What if someone were to paste some text into the editor and then start adding formatting, such as bold? In this instance, all of those would be removed upon save too.

I think automatically removing all formatting isn't the most user friendly option here. It's much more difficult to add formatting that has been removed (imagine all the colours/styles to redo) than it is to remove formatting from already formatted text. Perhaps the solution here is a slight education curve to members to encourage the removal of unwanted formatting.

Not sure what you mean by "somehow did not work". The text gets copied but most of the formatting is not copied.

I had a member at my Forum who just copy & pasted the text from a Word-file and he complained, saying "come back to me when your website works properly".
Then I tried it myself and did a "copy & paste" of some text from a Word-File. I remember that I received an Error-Message (not sure which Error-message it was.... I forgot).

But if you guys are saying that this works fine with the new Editor now, then a big issue has been solved already.

However I agree, it should work on the fly to remove the formatting, without clicking onto any "txt-button" within the Editor.
It is difficult to explain this to my members, they just want to "copy & paste" certain text from their .doc or .pdf File and it should work automagically.

Another question:
does it work fine with "copy & paste" of text from a .pdf file ? Any formatting issues there ?

:coffee:

Top Bottom