Add-on Redactor Editor

I'm going to have a play with this - I'm going to install it on my test board as a replacement for the plain text area.

Snag: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 license.

Technically, any site which has ads can't run this without buying a license.

I thought that meant that it can't be sold, in other words it can come installed with software that is for sell, but can come with software that is free, or created as a add-on/plugin/modification for free? I really don't think it has anything t do with ad's....

Take a moment to read the license...

Take a moment to read their product page:

Redactor licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 license.
You are free to use Redactor for your personal or non-profit website projects.
You can get the author's permission to use Redactor for commercial websites by paying a fee.

Single Domain License — $19.00
This will give you permission to use Redactor on a single commercial domain

A commercial domain would be any domain that generates a revenue for the purposes of generating a profit.

BTW - I have run out of time to test this - someone else should implement it :D

It could still be an add-on. But for it to fully adhere to the license agreement it'd need to be available for free via the Resource Manager under the same terms. The license agreement does allow "to Remix — to adapt the work" which is what a XenForo add-on would be, but to legally use the add-on on a commercial site they would have to buy the license from the Redactor website.

I have contacted the creator and asked for them to make it into an add-on for xenforo. On their roadmap they state they intend to make a module for drupal and modx. I asked they make one for xF, as it has a resource manager.

I like this one, for me its a real contender to TinyMCE.

BTW, a multi domain license costs $89, as well as the mini faq say this:

Is there a difference between these licences for websites and those for web applications or services?
A license gives you the right to use Redactor on your web services, web applications and any other services at no extra charge.

It is kinda vague, but I read it as there is a redistribution license available.

I like this one, for me its a real contender to TinyMCE.

BTW, a multi domain license costs $89, as well as the mini faq say this:

It is kinda vague, but I read it as there is a redistribution license available.

I have already requested information about this. I will post the information here as soon as I get it.

Although it's nice for new projects (minus the licensing), I don't see why any existing project should want to switch to this over TinyMCE, which works perfectly well. Any speed improvements you may have are negligible because they are hardly humanly noticeable, granted I haven't written up any huge posts in TinyMCE, but from my experience it works smooth as can be.

For the mentioned features, TinyMCE has an equivalent feature for each of those.

I'm by no means against this new editor, it looks slick! But from a developers perspective I'd be against spending much time implementing something that doesn't add any actual value over the existing implementation, when that time could be spend in so much more useful ways.

Although it's nice for new projects (minus the licensing), I don't see why any existing project should want to switch to this over TinyMCE, which works perfectly well. Any speed improvements you may have are negligible because they are hardly humanly noticeable, granted I haven't written up any huge posts in TinyMCE, but from my experience it works smooth as can be.

For the mentioned features, TinyMCE has an equivalent feature for each of those.

I'm by no means against this new editor, it looks slick! But from a developers perspective I'd be against spending much time implementing something that doesn't add any actual value over the existing implementation, when that time could be spend in so much more useful ways.

I write articles, and TinyMCE is a ***** to work with. I'd rather use straight HTML or maybe BBC. The way TinyMCE is intergraded into xF, it's a pain to try and add BBC buttons, and have existing added BBC to actually show without posting. If you are just posting comments TinyMCE is fine, if you want to write rich articles, TinyMCE is more trouble than what it's worth.

Right now my user's only complain about the editor/TinyMCE. So I installed minorin and added a few buttons. That seems to make them happy for now, but it could be so much better.

I write articles, and TinyMCE is a ***** to work with. I'd rather use straight HTML or maybe BBC. The way TinyMCE is intergraded into xF, it's a pain to try and add BBC buttons, and have existing added BBC to actually show without posting. If you are just posting comments TinyMCE is fine, if you want to write rich articles, TinyMCE is more trouble than what it's worth.

Right now my user's only complain about the editor/TinyMCE. So I installed minorin and added a few buttons. That seems to make them happy for now, but it could be so much better.

Interesting, may I ask what annoys you so much about TinyMCE?

Top Bottom